IGNORED

License for Public land

Brandon

6 hours ago, Brandon said:

That's why I asked what seemed like a stupid question. I know now not to ask and just figure it out on my own. 

Ask your questions, there will always be some keyboard tough guy giving you a hard time but you will learn to ignore them like the rest of us do.  

Just to clarify, for fall and winter bow seasons you can hunt anywhere in the state with just your archery license.  It's only during extended bow (November - December) that you need a permit.  And the extended bow permits are restricted to a specific zone, so if you hunt multiple zones you have to buy multiple permits.  

There is no additional fee or permits to hunt public land or WMAs.  Here's a list of public land open to deer hunting listed by zone.  

https://www.njfishandwildlife.org/huntland.htm

There is no doubt NJ is different than other states, at least NY. I just transferred my NY license to NJ. It's been a while since I hunted NY but you only needed a big game license and special bow stamp. That entitled you to one buck. If you wanted to tag a doe you needed an additional doe permit. It took me a month or so to figure out the NJ requirements. The zone specific rules still baffle me. If you have a state license you should eb able to hunt anywhere in the state without needing additional permits. I probably won't know where I am going to hunt until mid to late summer next year. I need time to scout unfamiliar areas.

And I still am not confident I know exactly what I need in addition to the general hunting license but I guess I'll figure it out or at least chat with my local outfitter to get the details.

2 hours ago, HomerJay said:

There is no doubt NJ is different than other states, at least NY. I just transferred my NY license to NJ. It's been a while since I hunted NY but you only needed a big game license and special bow stamp. That entitled you to one buck. If you wanted to tag a doe you needed an additional doe permit. It took me a month or so to figure out the NJ requirements. The zone specific rules still baffle me. If you have a state license you should eb able to hunt anywhere in the state without needing additional permits. I probably won't know where I am going to hunt until mid to late summer next year. I need time to scout unfamiliar areas.

And I still am not confident I know exactly what I need in addition to the general hunting license but I guess I'll figure it out or at least chat with my local outfitter to get the details.

Welcome to NJ and to the site Homer.   
If you or Brandon are looking to meet some fellow hunters, a bunch of us are getting together at Pub 199 on the 17th.   There’s a post in Events and Gatherings.    

1 hour ago, madeinuk said:

You may also want to look at the new DRS permits (deer regulation set) which allow you to hunt in multiple zones for $56 within the given reg set.  Reg sets 7 and 8 only though.  Lots of deer live here...

Thanks for this. I must have missed this in my review of the regulations, but this could be a much better deal for me. It still does not include one of my top targeted zones though.