IGNORED

Filson Double Mackinaw Cruiser

Haskell_Hunter

If you hunt and stalk the big woods, this is the jacket to get.  I have the regular version of this jacket and it's warm when you are stalking.  I just ordered the double because that's the jacket I originally wanted, but they hadn't made this version for a few years.  Well, it's back.

Filson gear is a lifetime, unlimited warranty.  When you pass this jacket down to your kids and your grandkids, the warranty is still good.  This wool is naturally dirt and water repellant.  I've walked through mud and puddles up to my knees and this stuff is still as clean as it was the day I received it.  It does not tear unless you're caught in barbed wire.  Filson will repair it.  Wool will keep you warm even if it is wet, and I've sat in snow wearing this gear and never got cold or wet.

It's not cheap gear, but nothing built like this with a warranty to back it up ever is.  But if you want to be warm in the woods and mountains when it is very cold out, and you don't want to walk around like the Staypuff Marshmallow man, this is the gear to get.

https://www.filson.com/outerwear/jackets-coats/double-mackinaw-cruiser.html

image.png.379b98d68fa7ba759eff08d3bd650eda.png

Edited by Haskell_Hunter

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

I just received my Mackinaw Jack-Shirt yesterday and the quality is great but damn does it run big! I’m not a small guy, 5’ 11” 210# and I’m swimming in it. The arms are a bit long but the body could loose 8-10 inches in the torso. They have great return policy so I just ordered a medium and hope that fits better. 

Last month I bought the Alaska guide shirt(which is awesome) and reviews said to size down so I did and got a medium but it was way too tight, mostly in the sleeves. So I exchanged for a large and it fits nicely though a touch big. Lot of reviews are stating the same since they moved production overseas. Quality is great but sizing consistency is pretty poor. 

I have a bunch of Filson stuff . And it’s made  very very well .

but I have moved away from wearing most of it .

today there are other much lighter fabrics that do everything that wool did .

and don’t require anywhere near the care wool needs .

and the cuts of newer clothing allows more freedom of movement .

polar fleece 300 with wind sheer is insanely warm , and is about 20% the weight of wool .

it sheds water better , breaths better and is so much easier to do long all day walks in .

IMO wool can really wear you down if your doing lots of walking .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

Filson makes some great stuff - Pricey for sure but it really holds up. I like the fact that it can be multipurpose, able to wear both hunting and doing day to day activities. 

Every so often, I will check out Sierra Trading Post, sometimes they have Filson gear on the site. 

43 minutes ago, Hitemnasty said:

I got the Mackinaw pants few years ago and at first I wasn’t thrilled with them but after wearing a few times they’re my go to on chilly days for working around the house and walking the dog. So arriving tomorrow are the Mack bibs in green that I’ll use for hunting. 

I have the Mac bibs in green.  Been hunting in thick pines for the past few years in them.  All kinds of crappy conditions.  They still look brand new.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

49 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

I have a bunch of Filson stuff . And it’s made  very very well .

but I have moved away from wearing most of it .

today there are other much lighter fabrics that do everything that wool did .

and don’t require anywhere near the care wool needs .

and the cuts of newer clothing allows more freedom of movement .

polar fleece 300 with wind sheer is insanely warm , and is about 20% the weight of wool .

it sheds water better , breaths better and is so much easier to do long all day walks in .

IMO wool can really wear you down if your doing lots of walking .

Yeah, about that new gear...So I bought the Wooltimate gear and used it on a recent hunt.  48°F and 25 MPH winds while I was up in a tree.  Warm as could be and the wind didn't chill me at all.  Then I walked through a briar patch looking for a deer.  The bottom right side is COVERED in briars.  I tried washing it three times to get them out.  No dice.  Now I have to pick them off, HUNDREDS of them, one at a time with tweezers.  Ever time I do a clump of material comes off of the jacket.

Sure, it's warm and does the trick, but you can't walk around in that gear or one trip through a briar patch and it's ruined.  I'll post a pic.

10354F2E-D979-41A0-B7ED-54B6A6BC115A.thumb.jpeg.b0d33d17e983707df33c0230a11b3746.jpeg

02E7C2F5-A7C4-4CA2-8AD5-EC6ABCA109E0.thumb.jpeg.62ca69d841fb4c0529bcfddece263b84.jpeg

A338CEBB-2AD9-4AFA-AF3E-60800B190978.thumb.jpeg.b022ca22dd8babb05e45065d014b6951.jpeg

Edited by Haskell_Hunter

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

1 minute ago, Nomad said:

That jacket is to heavy for me. Prefer the single thickness Filson for walking all day.  For sitting that would be good.  I usually stuff a down vest in my pack if I’m going to sit for a while.

I was going to get it for sits.  Stalking in the single is great, I can walk all day long in it.  But once you sit down for about an hour, you start to get cold.  I am hoping this allows me to stalk and sit.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

1 hour ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

Yeah, about that new gear...So I bought the Wooltimate gear and used it on a recent hunt.  48°F and 25 MPH winds while I was up in a tree.  Warm as could be and the wind didn't chill me at all.  Then I walked through a briar patch looking for a deer.  The bottom right side is COVERED in briars.  I tried washing it three times to get them out.  No dice.  Now I have to pick them off, HUNDREDS of them, one at a time with tweezers.  Ever time I do a clump of material comes off of the jacket.

Sure, it's warm and does the trick, but you can't walk around in that gear or one trip through a briar patch and it's ruined.  I'll post a pic.

10354F2E-D979-41A0-B7ED-54B6A6BC115A.thumb.jpeg.b0d33d17e983707df33c0230a11b3746.jpeg

02E7C2F5-A7C4-4CA2-8AD5-EC6ABCA109E0.thumb.jpeg.62ca69d841fb4c0529bcfddece263b84.jpeg

A338CEBB-2AD9-4AFA-AF3E-60800B190978.thumb.jpeg.b022ca22dd8babb05e45065d014b6951.jpeg

Wooltimate is great for sitting , not what I wear for long walks .

for burrs nothing beats a BURR PAW , takes all that stuff off in seconds .

buy 2 because you will want one in your pack and another left at home .

49D50071-6D50-4648-94D2-3F6E53B3E39F.jpeg

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/