IGNORED

smoking a brisket help

i will be smoking some brisket this weekend for the first time on a traeger.  i was going to purchase a 12-15lb brisket from a butcher but  being i was already at bjs i picked up 4  3.5lbs briskets.  im curious as to how long they should take as they are not one solid piece of meat like most recipies show.  iv been reading around 6 hours with these size cuts.    i dont want them done way too early or too late.  i am also interested in any tips or tricks you guys have to pull this off.  thanks

5 minutes ago, CJ3a said:

Mistake not getting a packer brisket.   You  probable end up with the point which gets used in a crockpot. 

well that sucks, should have taken the time to stop by the butcher.  it does say its a flat cut and when i googled in the store it said it was good for smoking?

Low end of brisket being done is 195°F.  It's all done by internal temp, not time.  Coat them with a rub tonight and put them in the fridge or brine them.  That'll let the rub set in nicely.  Your Traeger should have a temp probe for cooking.  Put that in the largest of them and set your temp alarm for 195°F.  If you want, set the alarm to 165°F and wrap them in foil at that point.  It'll cook faster and be very juicy.  Cook at 250°F or 225°F if you have the time.  Set the Traeger for max smoke for the first 90 minutes.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

4 minutes ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

Low end of brisket being done is 195°F.  It's all done by internal temp, not time.  Coat them with a rub tonight and put them in the fridge or brine them.  That'll let the rub set in nicely.  Your Traeger should have a temp probe for cooking.  Put that in the largest of them and set your temp alarm for 195°F.  If you want, set the alarm to 165°F and wrap them in foil at that point.  It'll cook faster and be very juicy.  Cook at 250°F or 225°F if you have the time.  Set the Traeger for max smoke for the first 90 minutes.

thank you.  i am planning to ideally have this done around 4-5pm sunday.  looking forward to it.  

58 minutes ago, mike033089 said:

thank you.  i am planning to ideally have this done around 4-5pm sunday.  looking forward to it.  

If you think they're going to take 6 hours, start them between 8AM and 9AM.  If it finishes at 2PM or 3PM you can let them rest.  I have an old, beat up cooler that I put a towel on the bottom and then the brisket inside of.  Let it sit in there up to three hours before you serve it.  It'll still be hot, but the rest lets it cook and tenderize a little more while cooling down very slowly.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.