IGNORED

In search of muzzleloader asap

Shepss217

19 hours ago, Bucndoe said:

No NICS check on muzzleloaders

In NJ a NICS check is Absolutely required for a purchase of a Muzzleloader.  Anyone who tells you otherwise is not up on the law. In NJ NICS is run by the NJ state Police and a 4473 along with a NICS check is required for ALL FIREARM transfers. 

Edited by Bowhunter458

10 minutes ago, Bowhunter458 said:

In NJ a NICS check is Absolutely required for a purchase of a Muzzleloader.  Anyone who tells you otherwise is not up on the law. In NJ NICS is run by the NJ state Police and a 4473 along with a NICS check is required for ALL FIREARM transfers. 

It only goes through the system run by NJSP. NICS is national and muzzy aren't classified as firearms federally. UNLESS it has an interchangeable barrel to fire different ammunition. IN that case full NICS checks need to done.  

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

1 minute ago, Bucndoe said:

It only goes through the system run by NJSP. NICS is national and muzzy aren't classified as firearms federally

That is still a mandatory check and now it's 16.00. In NJ it's an In-house here and it's still required.  a flintlock can be ordered but an inline must go thru the NJ Check/Nics

4 minutes ago, Bowhunter458 said:

That is still a mandatory check and now it's 16.00. In NJ it's an In-house here and it's still required.  a flintlock can be ordered but an inline must go thru the NJ Check/Nics

Yes, we are talking about the same thing just using different terminology 

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

8 minutes ago, Bowhunter458 said:

Yes, my point is the background check is mandatory here.   Heading out to PA without a FID while a NJ resident to skirt Nj laws is a NO-NO

There is no back ground check on a muzzle loader even in  in nj.  Nics does not get called.  Its just a coe

Edited by vdep217

11 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

There is no back ground check on a muzzle loader even in  in nj.  Nics does not get called.  Its just a coe

Not going to argue, I sell plenty.   16.00 to the State police who in NJ is the point of Contact for ALL  background checks along with clearance required, semantics on terminology Sale must be approved by The State Police. 

Furthermore all sales must go thru a Licensed FFL dealer..

Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 5.02.40 PM.jpg

Edited by Bowhunter458

29 minutes ago, Bowhunter458 said:

Heading out to PA without a FID while a NJ resident to skirt Nj laws is a NO-NO

Is that true? I can't go to PA or DE, buy a muzzleloader off the floor, and bring it home without going through NJ paperwork? I'm not buying it in NJ (so NJ purchase laws shouldn't be in play), and once I own it in PA or DE (which I do when I walk out the door), then its just me bringing in a long gun that I own to my NJ residence - no registration required, and I own it so no NJ NICS/state police check required.

Is that not how it works for muzzleloaders (and for airguns for that matter)??? :confused:

2 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

Is that true? I can't go to PA or DE, buy a muzzleloader off the floor, and bring it home without going through NJ paperwork? I'm not buying it in NJ (so NJ purchase laws shouldn't be in play), and once I own it in PA or DE (which I do when I walk out the door), then its just me bringing in a long gun that I own to my NJ residence - no registration required, and I own it so no NJ NICS/state police check required.

Is that not how it works for muzzleloaders (and for airguns for that matter)??? :confused:

If you have an NJ FID card you're good. The topic migrated to going out of state to buy WITHOUT one  

32 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

There is through the FFL. It's the NJ portion of NICS. A full NICS isn't run. Bowhunter485 and I are talking about the same thing. The confusion is coming in where the check that is done is being called a NICS check. It is, but it isn't as if it was being run for a firearm that isn't a muzzleloader

2 hours ago, Bucndoe said:

There is through the FFL. It's the NJ portion of NICS. A full NICS isn't run. Bowhunter485 and I are talking about the same thing. The confusion is coming in where the check that is done is being called a NICS check. It is, but it isn't as if it was being run for a firearm that isn't a muzzleloader

correct, it's still a mandatory background check and bypassing it is a NO-NO

The issue i think is that many feel that there is no check required within NJ for a muzzy.  PA sales with a NJ FID are 100% legal and person to person transfers in NJ MUST go thru a FFL.  

I don't want to see anyone getting jammed up...

Edited by Bowhunter458

2 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

NJ has NO registration, It is Voluntary .   However the purchase must be made Legally and the burden of proof is on you. You can Buy in PA  with NJ FID and bring home, but always retain proof of purchase..

29 minutes ago, Bowhunter458 said:

correct, it's still a mandatory background check and bypassing it is a NO-NO

The issue i think is that many feel that there is no check required within NJ for a muzzy.  PA sales with a NJ FID are 100% legal and person to person transfers in NJ MUST go thru a FFL.  

I don't want to see anyone getting jammed up...

There is a small exception for person to person transfer: between law enforcement, immediate family, & curio/relic gun dealer.  Otherwise, no longer able to do person to person