IGNORED

Pheasant season is over for us

ElevatedHunter

Well June and I’s season is over before it even got started. She has been limping a little bit since Indian creek so on our visit to the vet to get her adequan shot for her joints. She checked out her back knee. Partially torn acl...

Some of you may think hunting stocked birds is stupid and a waste of time, but to me it’s the best thing in the world. I love watching my dog work a bird, lock on point, flush, shoot and retrieve. It’s amazing. The bond that we’ve developed just from hunting is absolutely incredible. It’s something that I look forward to and CANT wait for every year and this year we’re sitting on the couch.

I’m trying to look at the positive and say hey at least we caught it very early before I started hunting her hard and then wind up needing surgery, but it just hurts my heart. I plan my vacation time around being out in the field with my girl and that isn’t going to be the case this year. So pray for a speedy recovery and to help keep me sane through this as some of you may know, keeping a gsp on 30 day rest before the next appointee is going to be trying. Leash walked outside, no stairs, no jumping on the bed or running through the house. This my friends is going to be tough...

So good luck to everyone going out and stay safe and healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The main thing is your dog is going to be ok... still enjoy your time with her doing things together.

Yeah she’s going to be good. We avoided a major surgery and super grateful for that. We will just bond on the couch over some beers(for me) and some marrow bones for her, catching up on watching the office.

Sorry to hear that.  Best of luck and a speedy recovery to your dog.  Might be some guys here who'd let you tag along and hunt over their dogs so you aren't stuck on the couch all season

Thank you for that. My best friend is in the midst of training his puppy. I may tag along with them a few times, but it just isn’t the same with out your own ya know? Almost feels like your cheating on them [emoji23]

Your story is all to familiar to me . You see I am the proud owner of a dynamite Springer that is just deadly on Roosters .The problem is he has an autoimmune disease that kicks in whenever he gets any kind of injury. Last year on the third outing of The Pa. season he had just a small abrasion on one of his paws, his immune system kicked in and the season was over.This year it's even worse after training for months he stepped on a chestnut burr, system went crazy, season over ! So I feel your pain my friend !

Don't ever apologies for hunting released birds, I seek out and hunt wild ringnecks in Pa. but most of the birds we take are released birds and I can tell you after those released birds are out there awhile they are very challenging  .

Like yourself most of our vacation time is centered around the pheasant seasons.

Try and get out and enjoy the season, we wait all year for it!

Pennsylvania Upland Hunting

Like yourself most of our vacation time is centered around the pheasant seasons.
Try and get out and enjoy the season, we wait all year for it!

I think once I take some time for this all to set in I’ll want to get out there and try to find a few, but as of right now my heart is saying if she isn’t hunting I’m not hunting. It just really isn’t the same. I’ve always been the one to tell someone to get out there and enjoy it if there dog was sick or had an injury. Or my one buddies dog had passed away and 2 years later asked him to come out with me and June and he denied because the hunting was between him and his dog. I now understand that and I respect that to the fullest.

The bond between a bird hunter and their dog is almost indescribable.  Especially if you trained her from a pup.  The best, and I mean the BEST hunting memories I have are walking the fields with my dog and my father. And He was always a better shot than I ever will be lol. 

Yes! She’s my first hunting dog and I trained her myself. Well the spectacular part about is all I did was train her basic obedience and recall, a little bit on some wings and what not. Everything else just came by pure instinct. Her points especially. She’s absolutely incredible and put her against 80% of the dogs out on public she will out hunt them every minute of the day. You would think she was trained professionally haha. I love The hunt but I love hunting with her more then anything.

1 hour ago, ElevatedHunter said:

Yeah she’s going to be good. We avoided a major surgery and super grateful for that. We will just bond on the couch over some beers(for me) and some marrow bones for her, catching up on watching the office.

sorry to hear that. enjoy the time spent together. i like the office as well. funny show.