IGNORED

Crossbow newby

Gman119

Take a look at the Wicked Ridge lineup by TenPoint. They have some nice crossbows.. price points are in the range your looking. For a little more the RDX400 is worth a hard look. I have a Horton Vortec, made by TenPoint which is very similar. Shoots great and didn’t break the bank. 

All the crossbows mentioned are effective and each comes with it's advantages and disadvantages . Just need to find what fits you. Some good options here in the price range. Best of luck! Might find a good one here for sale as well some good deals pop up time to time with guys upgrading or going back to bow etc.

I have a Horton.  It’s about 6-7 years old and it’s not the most expensive but I’ve taken deer with it.  Probably like $400 new it was.  Just restricted it for this year and I shoot every evening and in a 3 inch circle I drive in bolts at 25-30 yds.  To be honest reaching out to 40 would be my max anything more I’m just not so comfortable.  Most deer I’ve killed with it are less then 15 yds away anyway.  If you’re looking for range and a really nice piece just bite the bullet and get a ten point or raven.  For my next one that what I’ll do but I may go back to compound.  God luck

I got a centerpoint spectre last year. Harvested my first deer with it at 15yrds but also completely missed one at 25. 

If you have a tight budget I would make sure to account for having a good scope and good bolts. This year I am upgrading both, the crossbow itself is just fine. I do agree you get what you pay for, but for now this is all I know and Ignorance is bliss. 

My first crossbow was an entry level one from excalibur and it is simple, reliable, and kills deer. This year I went full in an bought a Ravin 29x.  It is a sweet machine but come with another set of issues.  The excalibur you can change the string yourself, but the Ravin requires a bow press and some precision work. Now the Ravin has significantly extended my kill range.  I would spend as much as you possibly can to get the best bow you can afford

"Your short on ears and long on mouth"