IGNORED

Used Car Shopping

Greg

Came across a new car dealership, ford that has vehicles listed for sale that carfax said where at auction. 

Looking at explorers and miller ford has a couple certified as preowned that where at auction.

I was always under the assumption/assumed that was not allowed.? Have I just been wrong all these years? Either way just comes off seeming a wee bit shady.

I gonna bet dollars for doughnuts pretty much every dealership gets stuff from auction.

I bought my bike brand new out of the creat from a dealer that was buying everyone he could from auction from dealerships that were overstocked or couldn't move them.

He was buying them cheap adding a grand to the price and moving them so fast had a hard time keeping up.

I recently dealt with Edison Nissan and same story they get in from auction what they call fleet vehicles.

If it's certified your good.

They get them cheaper and move them for a good price.

If you can beat the middle man and go to auction then go for it.

Not a complete a$$ hole just one of the dingle berries that hang off it.

Don't sweat the auction.  People have a perception that only junkers get bought and sold at auction.  My dad's retirement gig (until COVID) was working as a runner at Manheim in Bordentown (what used to be NADE)-basically he would just move cars around all day.  The place is hundreds if not thousands of acres full of cars from dealerships up and down the east coast.  Chances are if you buy a used vehicle in Northeast it has passed through their hands at some point.  In any event, certified pre-owned just means that the dealer has gone through the vehicle with a fine-toothed comb and certified that they are still willing to stand behind the factory warranty or warranties.  Its a risk for the dealer/manufacturer because if they certify a piece of junk they are going to end up on the hook for it down the road, so they're only going to select decent vehicles.  I bought a CPO Kia SUV for my wife a few years back that actually began its life as an Enterprise rental car.  We put 100K miles on it and had no issues whatsoever.  

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive

Guess its just normal then,, for some reason I always thought some one told me years ago it wasn't allowed on new car lots. 

Used is the way to go for me, I know I'll not be able to afford new anytime in the future. Picked up my 14 f150 for 23&change cpo with warranty still going on power train now.

Wife and I can't decide on explorer or highlander. Both pretty comparable over all with toyota leading in the tech stuff. Told her to print out a top 5 list and we may just go looking tomorrow.

9 minutes ago, Greg said:

Guess its just normal then,, for some reason I always thought some one told me years ago it wasn't allowed on new car lots. 

Used is the way to go for me, I know I'll not be able to afford new anytime in the future. Picked up my 14 f150 for 23&change cpo with warranty still going on power train now.

Wife and I can't decide on explorer or highlander. Both pretty comparable over all with toyota leading in the tech stuff. Told her to print out a top 5 list and we may just go looking tomorrow.

Every brand has its glitch.

MANY people dislike Ford.

After 30+ years of driving I just bought my 1st vehicle that WASN'T a Ford.

In all my years I only have one compliment 2012 Focus motor was great but every other little thing you could dream of was shit.

Just traded in a 2008 Edge that we bought brand new.

177,000 miles 3 sets of tires oil and gasoline.

Zero dollars in repairs other than tie rod ends on the driver and passenger side for a whopping $120.

It honestly was a car I had a hard time getting rid of but, the deal on the truck I got I could not pass up.

Not a complete a$$ hole just one of the dingle berries that hang off it.

38 minutes ago, Greg said:

Go with the Highlander 

My Mrs always gets her BMW's off lease from a dealer.......and my last two pickups came from dealers, I like to buy with 30,000 miles or less much cheaper than brand new......... many times arent auction cars but from trade ins as well........

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

1 hour ago, MRMCR said:

My Mrs always gets her BMW's off lease from a dealer.......and my last two pickups came from dealers, I like to buy with 30,000 miles or less much cheaper than brand new......... many times arent auction cars but from trade ins as well........

Trade-ins often go to the auction.  When someone walks into a dealer with a trade the dealer has two choices-sell it on their lot or send it to auction.  They make that decision based on market data-ie: what sells well at their dealership/in this particular part of the country and what doesn't.  It has little to do with the condition of the vehicle itself.  It's a calculation by the dealer of how much they think they can make via selling it themselves or selling it at auction.  If the vehicle's make, model, mileage, condition, etc...doesn't fit their profile they'll send it to auction, get whatever they get, and some other dealer will pick it up because it does fit their profile and they'll sell it on their lot.  The auctions are just a way to move vehicles around in order to get them into a market where they'll command the highest price.  Demand for different types of vehicles can vary widely in different areas of the country.  That's why if you use KBB, NADA or Edmunds to appraise a vehicle's value they'll ask for your zip code as that factors into the determination of value.  

Edited by Swamp_Yankee

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive

13 hours ago, Roon said:

Every brand has its glitch.

MANY people dislike Ford.

After 30+ years of driving I just bought my 1st vehicle that WASN'T a Ford.

In all my years I only have one compliment 2012 Focus motor was great but every other little thing you could dream of was shit.

Just traded in a 2008 Edge that we bought brand new.

177,000 miles 3 sets of tires oil and gasoline.

Zero dollars in repairs other than tie rod ends on the driver and passenger side for a whopping $120.

It honestly was a car I had a hard time getting rid of but, the deal on the truck I got I could not pass up.

My wife’s Dodge Charger was like your focus. At the end, at around 130k almost nothing worked but the engine. That car was a POS, put together with Elmer glue and very cheap plastic