IGNORED

Accidental Lineman's Belt Test

When I hunt hang ons, I usually use a lineman's belt as I climb and an HSS line with a prussic as a secondary precaution as a climb.  Although not always....

I was hanging some cameras recently and set up a climbing stick.  I was standing at the top step and using my lineman's belt to go hands free.  I was fiddling with the camera before screwing it in the tree.  I guess I didn't strap the stick on right and it gave way.  I went straight down the tree.  Just a reminder that Lineman's belts probably won't stop your fall (once its started) unless there is a branch or something in between the belt and the ground. 

FYI for you guys who only use a lineman's belt to climb but don't tie in until get to your stand.  

I was only 4 or 5 feet high so no damage done.  

Just now, Lunatic said:

It sounds like you didn't get hurt?
I climb with LB only and tie off with a safety line to the tree before I start hanging the stand. Maybe I need to rethink this

Yeah.  I mean it's all a risk/reward type thing.  None of us are going to get to zero risk and hunt 20 feet up.  I'm not trying to be a scold.  Just think about it.  As my "test" showed: If your stick gives out like mine did, the LB alone probably won't stop you.  

I use the same approach with a lineman's belt.  Not fun to think about falling like that.  Might be best to secure a cinched line around the tree with a prussik or klemheist in the future (like when using a climber).  Most dangerous time for me is hanging a stand initially, after that I have a lifeline set up for my fixed/season long stands and am much more comfortable.  Hunting on the fly, you're always in the dangerous situation since you rarely use a lifeline then, so having that secured cinch line above you is probably the safest route.

32 minutes ago, dlist777 said:

Yeah.  I mean it's all a risk/reward type thing.  None of us are going to get to zero risk and hunt 20 feet up.  I'm not trying to be a scold.  Just think about it.  As my "test" showed: If your stick gives out like mine did, the LB alone probably won't stop you.  

How did your stick give out, what sticks are you using

I hunt from a ground blind because:

mass x velocity = kinetic energy

That translates to “fat guys hit the ground pretty hard”.  I have a full-body harness that loops around the tree that I used to use with my climber.  On the off-chance I use my climber again, I use that harness because it will stop my fat ass from creating a giant, bloody crater at the bottom of the tree.

Glad you were okay, and thanks for the wake-up call.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

HH- great minds think alike, I didn't see you post when I typed mine.    This probably will be the year I invest in a good ground blind or 3.... still will stick to my tried and true legacy tree stands of course but I have spots where I know  a GB will do better and of course be safer

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

11 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

HH- great minds think alike, I didn't see you post when I typed mine.    This probably will be the year I invest in a good ground blind or 3.... still will stick to my tried and true legacy tree stands of course but I have spots where I know  a GB will do better and of course be safer

I’ve been through a few blinds in my time.  I will share recommendations when you start looking.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

17 minutes ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

I’ve been through a few blinds in my time.  I will share recommendations when you start looking.

Yes you will recommend an over-built 1,500 square foot model with steel reinforced roofing and I-Beams, and I will of course opt for the smallest cheapest one available that will collapse from a light drizzle.....  LOL

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

59 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

How did your stick give out, what sticks are you using

Lone Wolf.  I guess didn't put the loop fully over the versa button.  User error.  I didn't realize I had fallen until I was on my ass wondering what had happened.  The stick was at the bottom of the tree unhooked.  

1 hour ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

That translates to “fat guys hit the ground pretty hard”.  I have a full-body harness that loops around the tree that I used to use with my climber.  On the off-chance I use my climber again, I use that harness because it will stop my fat ass from creating a giant, bloody crater at the bottom of the tree.

This is why I use ground blinds. 

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

1 hour ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

Haskell,

Your equation is wrong... Kinetic energy = 1/2 x Mass x Velocity 2... just saying.

OP - glad you're safe.

David