IGNORED

Texas, Illinois or Kansas for out of state hunt

Herd Buck

Texas is expensive and I think that is the main reason.   I have never hunted Texas. There are great deer in all three states and great outfitters.   Its just about finding the right one.  I have hunted both Illinois and Kansas and like most states it can be a hill billy holiday during shotgun and rifle season.  If I was going with the gun (rifle) I think I would do Texas on a huge private ranch.  Most of Texas is High Fence but, hunting the right ranch you would not even know there is a fence there but, you will pay big money.  If you want a muzzloader hunt I made a post check it out. 

Edited by Live to Hunt

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

I will add Iowa to the list have you been Rocky? 

Live to Hunt I saw your post which is partly what has re-started my search, not sure my group would all go for muzzy.

Yes Texas is the only state that lists price per inch of antler thought that was odd for free range hunt. 

Any shows you guys would recommend I could check out a few outfitters?

1 minute ago, Herd Buck said:

I will add Iowa to the list have you been Rocky? 

Yes twice.

It takes you 2-4 years to draw a Iowa archery take now  but, it reminds me of the early Kansas hunting that was awesome for non-residents before they pretty much started giving out unlimited tags.

1 minute ago, Herd Buck said:

15 minutes ago, rocky said:

Yes twice.

It takes you 2-4 years to draw a Iowa archery take now  but, it reminds me of the early Kansas hunting that was awesome for non-residents before they pretty much started giving out unlimited tags.

Iowa, no good. Illinois better!

"All men die, not all men really live". WW

59 minutes ago, Herd Buck said:

I know a lot of you hunt out of state but doesn’t seem many go to Texas is there a reason? 

If you recommend a place for a chance at a 150+ buck which state would you recommend for a gun hunt? Any outfitter you have used in the past?

Well, as soon as you step foot in Texas they would know you are from Jersey and would not let you in because they don't want to be infected with the disease of being from NJ.

All kidding aside.  Any of the midwest states and some of the western ones have INCREDIBLE GENETICS.  Texas has good deer and some great deer, but the midwest is just flat out awesome.    As you know, age, genetics are the keys to big bucks.  Food is important but if the other two are not present it does matter.   Ohio is also a real good bet. 

Texas on a good ranch can be amazing but will be expensive and most likely hinting behind a high fence.

illinois is always a good choice on good property but is usually very typical farmland type if terrain matters

Kansas on a well managed property is amazing IMO.  Usually lots of deer and the terrain is different than most areas.  I love hunting Kansas.  I think the vastness of some areas and the change of scenery makes a special hunt.  Oh, and theres a chance at a world class deer!