IGNORED

Reloading Rifle Ammo

yoda4x4

I'm about to pick up a Savage 110 Tactical LH in 308 and would like to see how small I can get the groups. And from everything I've read, maximum accuracy is always achieved by reloading. Does anyone here reload rifle ammo? I've never done it before and would like to hear from someone who does.

David

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

I do.  What would you like to know? 
Are you only reloading for that 308?
I would only be reloading for the 308.
Same here, welcome to the world of accuracy. What is it you are looking to achieve? Hunting, target, both?

Sent via carrier pigeon
For now it would be target.
What county are you in? Lots of knowledge here on the forum but having a local assist you would get you off to a great start. My groups from factory Ammo go from 1.25” down to .5” at 100 yards with 3 of my guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Middlesex County

David

308 will be an accurate round but if you are going to reload, it opens up your options to other rounds like 260, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08 etc...   these should match the accuracy of the 308  but have less recoil and be better for long range when it comes to wind drift and trajectory.

If you are set on the 308 and only shooting targets, i'd look at Sierra 168 MatchKings for the bullet,  Hodgdon Varget for powder and Federal 210 Large Rifle primers as a starting point.  

If you want for hunting and target i'd look at 165 ballistic tips for the bullet or a sierra gameking.  

Lots of options but i would still recommend you start with the equipment list i first listed. Would be happy to walk you through any questions over the phone.  pm me your number if interested. 

The .308 is a fine cartridge. When you get started with your reloading find the max over all length of the cartridge and back it off a few thousands. This will get you on the road to tighter groups the fastest.

The way I do this is find the bullet you are going to load and paint it with a sharpie. Barely insert it into a piece of brass so it fits snug. Slowly load the brass and bullet into the gun and see how far the bullet goes into the brass. Take that measurement and reduce it by a couple thousands and also check that that length still fits in your magazine as well. When you load this way make sure that those cartridges are only used in that gun.

Your best groups will come from ammo that was fire-formed in your chamber. My best advice, get some good quality ammo from manufacturers that have good brass (Federal Gold Medal, Blackhills Match, Norma Match, Nosler,etc.) and see which shoots best in your gun.

Then buy a bunch of that ammo and practice, practice, practice.  Save all your once-fired, same headstamp brass. This will get you familiar with the gun, give you a very good baseline to gauge improvement, and give you a supply of fire-formed brass.

Use that brass to develop a good load and neck size only.

1 hour ago, yoda4x4 said:

What's a bench rest primer?

David

They're supposed to be more consistent than than the standard primer, for a penny extra per primer no reason not to try them.  If your gun likes them i'd buy 1000 and be set for awhile.   However, id buy 100 of a few different brands of primers to work up your loads and see if any shoot better than others.  I've had good luck with Federal 210 but they are sometimes hard to find.  CCI seem to be easier to find.  

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 6:31 PM, tjfslaughter said:

What county are you in? Lots of knowledge here on the forum but having a local assist you would get you off to a great start. My groups from factory Ammo go from 1.25” down to .5” at 100 yards with 3 of my guns.

When one of my sons and a couple of his friends pooled their money and bought a real nice reloading setup, they enlisted the help of a local that helped them with the nuances of the machine. Its not rocket science, but it can save some trial and error time.

Like you, they started reloading to fine tune .308 cartridges for the ranges. A lot of fun shrinking those groups down. Now, they also do handgun loads, etc

Have fun …. pretty cool little hobby.