IGNORED

Savage 220 is awesome!

13 hours ago, Sgt Joe Friday said:

I’m afraid to play around with it might knock of the sccuarcy 

I'm careful with all my guns/scopes, but more so with this one, cause it shoots so damn well

Good friend of mine didn't care for the factory stock, he put a Boyd stock on, looks great but the accuracy didn't improve at all

3 hours ago, badams14 said:

Accutips shoot great but I have had expansion issues on Deer. 5 deer hit in the bread basket and no expansion, all died with in 200 yards but were a pain to find with little blood. It was like they got stabbed with a stiletto. I’ve switched to Lightfields and haven’t had an issue since. Just my experience, I’m sure I will get bashed for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great 1st hand knowledge like Matt said....Welcome to the site!

Any positive posts that are met with negative bashing on this site will be quickly addressed by the management. 

All good..:up:

3 hours ago, badams14 said:

Accutips shoot great but I have had expansion issues on Deer. 5 deer hit in the bread basket and no expansion, all died with in 200 yards but were a pain to find with little blood. It was like they got stabbed with a stiletto. I’ve switched to Lightfields and haven’t had an issue since. Just my experience, I’m sure I will get bashed for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have heard/read about hunters having concerns about that......If you want to keep the accuracy of the Accutips but question their performance on game I say try the new Remington/Barnes Sabots.....Those Barnes from a Muzzleloader are deadly.....I'm thinking of getting 6 boxes of these new slugs and trying them come spring see if they are as equal or better with accuracy then the Accutips....I shot this coyote at roughly 80 yards with Accutips/220, he spun around and dropped, I know a deer is bigger and tougher

image.png.e76d91b0e2921ce089fafe2f46a996db.png

16 hours ago, LPJR said:

Same glass on my 220. Tack driver right out of the box with 2 3/4" Accutips. Each deer has not taken 1 step at the shot. Ever.....Enjoy the gun that will quickly become your new favorite one in your safe. :up:

I stand corrected. The Leupold is on my Accura.  I have the Nikon slug hunter BDC scope on the 220. This is a pic of what I attached to the stock for a reference.

20181206_144911.jpg

20181206_144929.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DDS said:

I just picked mine up today and cant wait to sight it in. A friend has one and get your grouping of almost touching at 200 yards. I hunt fields so this will really help me reach out to distances I would normally not even look at.

Congratulations. I bought mine two weeks ago, I love it so far. What ammo are you planning on shooting? 

I would like to shoot the accutip 3” if I can find it. My friend said it’s hard to find at certain times of the year but it pattens the best at long ranges for him. I haven’t looked around yet but I plan to soon. Hope to sight it in before January. 

On 12/6/2018 at 1:09 PM, BHC said:

My feelings is the factory stock should come with a monte carlo cheek piece to align your eyes better with the scope, that would be a vast improvement 

BHC, I added a Bear Creek comb raising kit to mine and solved the low stock issue. 

Also, on your 200 yard drop of 2.5”, did you actually shoot at 200 or is that from the chart?

One more thing that I did to mine that helped it/me  shoot better. If you remove the butt pad, there’s a square block of foam inside the stock. I took that to a machinist friend and he cut a block of steel the same size which I installed in place of the foam. It added appx. 2.5 pounds to the gun, which  helps with recoil and the lightness of the 220 with the plastic stock. 

Edited by Pathman

Google Maximum Point Blank Range. This is how I sight all my guns. This way I always aim at what I want to hit, without thinking about aiming higher or lower because of distance, and in the worse case I am only 3" high or low (= dead deer), to the effective range of the gun/ammo.

I love the shot groups I get with mine,but I am having major shell ejection issues. The extractors seem ok as does the small finger attached to the receiver. It's several years old and probably not under warranty. I plan on calling Savage tomorrow.

IMO the design of the bolt is wierd to say the least....it has that big giant handle and teeny-weeney extractors

Also to lock in the magazine with the bolt forward (loaded or not) I have to wack the magazine base really hard.