IGNORED

NJ rut activity

I have seen more chasing this year then the last several combined both on private and public. And bruisers to boot. I was driving down a dirt road yesterday and had a doe pop out. She takes off and a big wide 8pt was chasing right after.  Last thursday I had a 10 pt in a meadow to right of my stand chasing a doe around. Last week every field on the road I hunt seemed to have a buck chasing a doe around as I was just surveying from the road that morning since I was tagged out. 

I apparently keep picking the wrong stand for activity.  Cams show good movement when I'm not there.  Maybe I smell really bad, or they know I'm there...or they're just coming in when the winds are good for them and not for me.  Small bucks nudging does around still.  The spikes I saw today were just cruising.  No new bucks really, same cast of characters.

3 hours ago, bucky said:

Saw a real big 8 tonight with a 2 1/2 yr old 8 in tow chasing and then on the way home saw another good 8 with two other bucks chasing the same doe

A few does will continue to come into heat over the next few months.  When they do you will see bucks chasing.  But the bulk of does have been bred, so the chasing will be light and scattered.   

32 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

I apparently keep picking the wrong stand for activity.  Cams show good movement when I'm not there.  Maybe I smell really bad, or they know I'm there...or they're just coming in when the winds are good for them and not for me.  Small bucks nudging does around still.  The spikes I saw today were just cruising.  No new bucks really, same cast of characters.

Same for me

All my cams this weekend showed doe groups back feeding at bait sites. A couple of bucks cruising through here and there, but the does are back to their normal feeding patterns. 

As much as bucks patrol bait areas looking for does, the does seem to avoid bait areas knowing the bucks will harass them there. The pics from baited areas over last two weeks has been sporadic at best, with a Deer or Two at varying hours. The last 2-3 day’s back to clockwork feeding activity. 

So yes, as Rusty said, it appears the peak of the breeding has past.