IGNORED

Gonna be a long night

Lphunsjr

Two possibilities -

1) you got the meatiest part of the ham but hit leg bone and bolt stopped there - BH could still be in there and bolt snapped off, or bolt and BH simple worked itself out

2) Based on angle downward, there is an exit hole but it's on other side of same leg but somehow missed entering body.  All meat, just a flesh wound. The bolt is there somewhere, may have bounced off ground and gone in a direction you weren't looking or is buried so deep in ground you can't find it.

Either option  soooo close to femoral -had to be by inches.  Look at diagram.    I am thinking option #2 - especially if he's not limping.  Had you hit leg bone with a crossbow, may have broken it. I  bet there is an exit hole just won't ever see it from camera because it's other side of the same leg.

post-227-0-51981500-1450977481.jpg

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

well now that I see his leg is just not quite touching ground, wondering if maybe you did break his leg.   If you did just pass through meaty part of the ham and get an exit (that you can't see) he still could be limping from that though - and should fully recover.   Hopefully you get another chance at him soon.

I shot a big 10pt once….

3 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

well now that I see his leg is just not quite touching ground, wondering if maybe you did break his leg.   If you did just pass through meaty part of the ham and get an exit (that you can't see) he still could be limping from that though - and should fully recover.   Hopefully you get another chance at him soon.

So glad he's alive. I'll put in a few all day sits soon! 

46 minutes ago, Lphunsjr said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=1413eee7e2c85685

IMG_20181023_110603360.jpg

Even in this pic - looks like that leg is gingerly touching tip of hoof to ground whereas all other legs are flatter, bearing all the weight.   Hope his leg isn't fully broke, but he probably is very sore and maybe sliced a tendon that will impair him regardless if bone is broken or not. (as in "the hamstring").

I shot a big 10pt once….

1 hour ago, Lphunsjr said:

I was in tree Stand, probably 17' up,,,20 yard shot. Searched that entire piece of woods and never found bolt. No exit wound on other side. You would think w a crossbow, it would blown thru there and hit something!

I shot a deer and a turkey with a crossbow and couldn't find the bolt either time.  15 yard shot, so the bolt still had a ton of energy behind it.  Good chance you buried it.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.