IGNORED

Upland bird question

19 minutes ago, Batsto said:

Professor Delaney says Spaniels are cool, but we love all field pups. 

post-1538-0-31560300-1506439904_thumb.jpegpost-1538-0-11958900-1508942603.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Batsto said:

Professor Delaney says Spaniels are cool, but we love all field pups. 

post-1538-0-31560300-1506439904_thumb.jpegpost-1538-0-11958900-1508942603.jpeg

Great pic!

Mathews Halon

United Bowhunters of NJ

NWTF - Tri County Longbeards

New Jersey Outdoor Alliance

21 minutes ago, thefirstndsecond said:

If you are going to hunt ducks, geese, and upland - German Short Hair Pointer, Pudelpointer, Wirehair Pointer, Wirehair Griffon

If you are going just upland and sometimes geese or ducks American Brittany

If you are going to train then I recommend Del Val NAVHDA.

Before purchasing a dog search and go and watch the mother and father. It will tell you a lot about the off spring.

I have a Brittany and love him like one of my kids. He is a great dog.

I have seen some of the best short hairs around through NAVHDA.

Always remember, the cheapest part is the dog.

FB_IMG_1474948641472.jpg

IMG952013072195175217.jpg

11262117_1447191165594276_1220314047248921880_n.jpg

Great advice!! Yes it will be just for pheasant, woodcock and quail.

Mathews Halon

United Bowhunters of NJ

NWTF - Tri County Longbeards

New Jersey Outdoor Alliance

Some good advice.  I was fortunate to know my breeder through bicycling at the time, and I got to hunt over the pregnant mother of my first Brittany pup.  I knew her bloodlines were impeccable, but her field work was even more impressive.  I also hunted her mother who was about 9 at the time as I recall, and she was also an excellent field and house dog.  I have since owned two from that bloodline (Kipps Bay out of Warwick, NY).  It's the training that gets expensive, especially if you're new to the game and hire a pro.  I did that with my first dog, but I learned so much from my months of working with my dog and the trainer that I was able to train my second Brittany on my own with great results.  

Rusty on point 2.jpg

I like to be different, so if I still had the room, I would have looked closer at the puddlepointer, see (Tallmans post). But I have had 5 Brittany's in my lifetime, and they are a great family, house dog and wonderful hunters and so I'm partial to this breed. But I became interested in this breed and decided that for my last dog, this is the way to go. The Epagnuel Breton is supposed to be the best "Brittany" and this one so far seems to be the most intelligent of any of those previous brittany's. Only time will tell, but good luck finding a good breeder in the Northeast, I had to drive to NC to pick mine up. 

Niles du                                                                       at 16 weeks.jpg

Love those Britts!  The best advice I could give is to know your personality and those in your home along with the typical personalities of the breeds you are looking at.  There are breeds of dogs that require incredible discipline and authority be given to the dog by its owner and any other handlers in the house.  If you are a pushover, that breed of dog will not be a good fit for you.  A Chesapeake Bay retriever comes to mind in the hunting world and most Dalmations would also fit into that mold as would many others.  Too many people buy dogs based on looks alone.  Know what your breed is good at and not so good at.  Most of today's pointing breeds have some amount of Pointer (used to be called English Pointer, now AKC just uses Pointer) in them.  That's because they have the longest nose in the business and have been bred to point longer than most other breeds if not all other breeds.  English pointers are outcrossed with them as well, and have the 2nd longest nose in the business.  After that, I put the Brittany and GSP about even when it comes to noses and overall versatility.  I know I will anger some with this list including several breeds I didn't list , but these are all based on "averages".  I have seen lousy Pointers that couldn't point an elephant if they were in the cage with it and once owned a Brittany that pointed so far out that I was usually surprised by where the flush came from because of the distance away he was from the bird he had pinned down.  And when you buy a pup, you won't know until pup grows up.  If that is a concern, look at started dogs from a reputable kennel for the breed(s) you are looking at.    

P1160015.JPG

Rusty running in snow at age 11.JPG

A lot of good advise been given,pick the breed that you think suits your needs,then do your work,research the best hunting bloodlines you can find,talk to the breeder. A lot of people may disagree with me but I would let the breeder pick the pup for you,he knows the pups first hand and can place the right pup with your personality and level of dog experience! And has been said try to see the parents of the pups!

I posted a very similar question few months ago see the link here

https://www.njwoodsandwater.com/index.php?/topic/18434-All-around-hunting-dog???

However my post wad for an all-around hunting dog that can do everything if you train it properly.

You'll find a lot of opinions.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Cewoz560    Just one thing to think about is the cost of specific breeds. Some of the more rare breeds are going to come at a much higher price, but not having a dog for the past 20 years gave me quite a culture shock. Whatever the initial cost of a pup may be, is like the tip of an iceberg. Be prepared to get rocked by todays vet bills, nothing is cheap anymore and make sure you don't think of your new hunting partner as a minor investment.

I owned three Brittany's. Here is how I look at the gun dog situation. If you hunt waterfowl you need a RETRIEVER. If you hunt upland birds you need a POINTING DOG. If you hunt rabbits, you need a HOUND. I've seen a lot of guys go the Retriever route for Pheasants. I do not see anything a Retriever can do that a Pointing dog can't do better. It points and retrieves. Some people say that Labs point. Maybe they do something similar to that for a brief few minutes but it cannot compare to a staunch point from a pointing breed.