IGNORED

Upland bird question

7 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

Some good advice.  I was fortunate to know my breeder through bicycling at the time, and I got to hunt over the pregnant mother of my first Brittany pup.  I knew her bloodlines were impeccable, but her field work was even more impressive.  I also hunted her mother who was about 9 at the time as I recall, and she was also an excellent field and house dog.  I have since owned two from that bloodline (Kipps Bay out of Warwick, NY).  It's the training that gets expensive, especially if you're new to the game and hire a pro.  I did that with my first dog, but I learned so much from my months of working with my dog and the trainer that I was able to train my second Brittany on my own with great results.  

Rusty on point 2.jpg

Great advice Brian thanks!

Mathews Halon

United Bowhunters of NJ

NWTF - Tri County Longbeards

New Jersey Outdoor Alliance

7 hours ago, Tallman said:

A lot of good advise been given,pick the breed that you think suits your needs,then do your work,research the best hunting bloodlines you can find,talk to the breeder. A lot of people may disagree with me but I would let the breeder pick the pup for you,he knows the pups first hand and can place the right pup with your personality and level of dog experience! And has been said try to see the parents of the pups!

:agree:

Mathews Halon

United Bowhunters of NJ

3 minutes ago, maximus66 said:

Well i am a spaniel fan, especially Boykins. Watch this girl in action, misses on the hard flush at .17 of the video but continues relentless pursuit then brings em back to the boss

BE289E6C-7E08-4231-8B50-8F79E88C4734.MOVBE289E6C-7E08-4231-8B50-8F79E88C4734.MOV

Very cool Maximus!!

Mathews Halon

United Bowhunters of NJ

Agreed I looked at several breeds and rescues the cost here for a rescue pup is $600 older dogs $300. No concerns there the rescues definitely do a lot for theses pups and deserve the fee.

As far as the hunting pups the prices range I found where $1200 and up. The best thing you can do is find the best breeder you can find. You definitely do not want a breed that was oveebred and may have issues as found in the most popular dogs.

I decided to go with the Deutsch-Drahthaar based on the rigourous breeding and testing programs. They actually have a breed warden that certifies the litter and they go thru extensive blood and hip dysplasia tests, microchipping and ears are tattooed.

The vet bills will be the similiar no matter which dog you choose I had a mutt and she costs me 300-400 in vet bills on average. When she got sick and had knee surgery at 12mths my expenses very well over $10k.

There are never any gaurantees with any pup however I know I am lowering the risks by finding a top breeder.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On March 23, 2018 at 4:02 PM, archer36 said:

I owned three Brittany's. Here is how I look at the gun dog situation. If you hunt waterfowl you need a RETRIEVER. If you hunt upland birds you need a POINTING DOG. If you hunt rabbits, you need a HOUND. I've seen a lot of guys go the Retriever route for Pheasants. I do not see anything a Retriever can do that a Pointing dog can't do better. It points and retrieves. Some people say that Labs point. Maybe they do something similar to that for a brief few minutes but it cannot compare to a staunch point from a pointing breed. 

So get a Spaniel and you have all three!