IGNORED

Barbless hooks at Flatbrook and KLG

230jhp

Let me preface my remarks by stating I am a catch & release fly fisherman and have always bent down the barbs on each fly when I tie on the leader.

That being said I have reservations about the barbless hook rule for the catch& release areas.   I checked with F&G and was told it is acceptable to crush the barb with a pliers. The reservations are based on what will be the level of enforcement. Will it apply to the fly currently fastened to the leader when the CO arrives to check  or will it apply to every fly in the fisherman's possession?

In my fishing vest I probably have about 200-300 flies maybe even more.  I started to crush the barbs on all my flies today and find the task daunting. It was easy with streamers because the hooks are generally bigger.  However, with small nymphs and dry flies it was very difficult and these are the bulk of the flies I own. It is difficult in the sense that it is hard to be sure the barb is crushed enough to be legal.

I don't tie my own flies ( I have enough trouble tying flies onto a 7X leader). Online fly vendors like Flyshack.com do not have a lot of variety in flies tied onto barbless hooks. Even if they did replacing all the flies I have is not economically feasible.

Does anyone have any insight on this??????Perhaps a CO?

Edited by 230jhp

1 minute ago, mikejd said:

I cant imagine they have the right to search your vest. The rig on your rod I can understand but not your vest. What are they going to do pat you down.

I have seen COs looking through guys vests, backpacks, coolers, trucks, truck tool boxes. they are law enforcement

This new regulation will take time for proper compliance and the COs know it. Expect warnings if anything for some time to come. And smashing your barbs down as you tie a new fly or lure on is perfectly acceptable.

I tie at least half the flies in my box and the first thing I do is use my vise jaws to smash down the barb. So all the flies I tied are ready to go. The others will get a quick adjustment from my hemostats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand it as written to apply solely to "lures" not flies.   It does not state lures and flies.  It does state that only lures and flies can be used in the C&R areas.  To me the use of "and" means they are not the same.   So is a lure a fly, or a fly a lure.

"Lures used when trout fishing in the state’s two designated Catch and Release Only areas may have no more than three hook points, all of which must be barbless".