IGNORED

Anyone do a DIY hunt public land in another state I’m thinking Ohio 100% diy Public land

Njhunter77

Many of the power companies own thousands of acres of land and allow the public to hunt - all you need is a permission slip.  I would contact the regional fish and game office in the area you want to hunt and inquire about power company lands and I would bet they would give you some leads.  The locals will be hunting this land, but you are one step ahead of the guys just hunting public lands.  It will give you a Plan B if nothing else. 

Good Luck

Greg 

I bow hunted public in Ohio two years ago.  Scouted for 2 days in September and then went back first week of November. Saw bucks every day(small) and it was really warm all week, 70's.  On the last day it was cold and had a chance at a big one but it didn't work out.  My friend that was hunting with me saw a 150 class buck.  Hunt the edges of private property and those big bucks cruise in and out of the private onto public looking for and chasing does.

Up to a few years ago I hunted Ohio private and public land on a regular basis. There are still some nice archery public land bucks to be had but they are hard earned through research, scouting, and old fashion trial and error. Best advice NJh77 once you have done your homework is to go out there during the Spring turkey season and use this as a scouting trip for the Fall deer season. Drive to as many spots as possible and get out and put some boots on the ground. I found that my Spring turkey trips were really useful in verifying information gathered online. The biggest challenge is to eliminate potentially unproductive spots before you head out in the Fall. Many of the Ohio public lands are a hodge podge of public pieces mixed in with private land so you need to know your boundaries. Get yourself a decent GPS with an Ohio Xhunt chip and a set of county Platt maps. It'll save you time and prevent inadvertantly trespassing on local's properties. Many of the private and public lands are unposted or lack signage. Finally, like Rocky said if you find a few good spots keep them to yourself and only take others who put sweat equity into them. Good luck.

Plan a 2-3 day scouting trip early spring before anything starts sprouting and previous sign is easily seen. Pick particular spots to look over utilizing topo and aerial maps to maximize your scouting time, go with a plan. This increase you odds dramatically come November. Pay close attention to deer sign knowing when the sign was laid down and why. During the rut, understanding topography is more important than just sign trying to catch those cruising bucks. There are programs that can be downloaded onto gps units that show you property ownership status. It can be a helpful tool finding those overlooked areas to hunt not known to non residents. Don't be afraid to knock on a few doors too! (Have a plan, be respectful, dress nice, and be willing to help owner with chores).

Do something like Gobblengrunt said.  He covered good  :up:

I did a OTC DIY Public Land Archery Elk hunt this past year in Idaho. Never set foot on the ground, spent every waking moment looking at maps, calling game wardens, and biologist in the area to try and get as much information as I could possible gather. Hunted for 7 days and came really close to dropping a dandy bull on the 4th day of the hunt. My biggest surprise was how BIG everything was and how long it took to move around, I recall sitting and looking at my maps at home and saying to myself I going to drop into here pop our over there walk over there etc. Needless to say to cover 3 miles could take you half a day LOL.

As others have said look at maps, maps, and more maps. OnXmaps is worth the yearly price. Ohio is an 8 hour drive away, I would try and spend a weekend in April checking out some spots, I wish Idaho was that close, 32 hours for me LOL.

I hope you get out there!!!!! After hunting out of state it really opens up your eyes to how small of a state NJ is, and what it means to be a public land owner,  its yours go and use it!!!!

I did a OTC DIY Public Land Archery Elk hunt this past year in Idaho. Never set foot on the ground, spent every waking moment looking at maps, calling game wardens, and biologist in the area to try and get as much information as I could possible gather. Hunted for 7 days and came really close to dropping a dandy bull on the 4th day of the hunt. My biggest surprise was how BIG everything was and how long it took to move around, I recall sitting and looking at my maps at home and saying to myself I going to drop into here pop our over there walk over there etc. Needless to say to cover 3 miles could take you half a day LOL.

As others have said look at maps, maps, and more maps. OnXmaps is worth the yearly price. Ohio is an 8 hour drive away, I would try and spend a weekend in April checking out some spots, I wish Idaho was that close, 32 hours for me LOL.

I hope you get out there!!!!! After hunting out of state it really opens up your eyes to how small of a state NJ is, and what it means to be a public land owner,  its yours go and use it!!!!

How much was that is it lottery for elk or otc for bull elk jw that would be awesome

The spot I founds 60,000 acres 9 hour drive come rut season nov 13th about and maybe 5 day hunt any pointers and has anyone done it any state other than nj

I have done it in Virginia. I was set to go to Ohio last October and work got in the way. This year no one wants to go so I thought about going on my own.

How much was that is it lottery for elk or otc for bull elk jw that would be awesome

Its over the counter, 594.50 is the cost for NR, either sex tag.

It's another world, I have not been able to get myself out to deer hunt this year after chasing screaming Elk. Nothing like seeing a 500+ lb animal screaming in your face, foaming at the mouth and pissing all over itself looking for a fight. I will never forget that day, only 2 more steps and he would of been in the freezer and on the wall.

Sitting in a tree stand just doesn't seem to be fun anymore. Its like when I went snowboarding out West for the first time 15 years ago, have not been to any East coast mountain ever since. The West breaks you in a good way :)