IGNORED

WTF!!!!!!!

mattg1500

Shot a doe tonight at 30yds broadside. No blood until about 35-40yds from where I shot it. First spot was about a fist size then it was quarter size drops for at least 250yds. No recovery. Shot was a pass through and blood and hair all on arrow and vanes.

Last week shot a doe at 30yds and same thing. Pass through, no blood for almost 30yds on that one then just a spot here and there. Farmer found that deer another 200yds away.

Blood was bright red on both and no clotting or anything in any of the spots on either deer. Im using G5 striker fixed blade broadheads and shooting a mathews @ 65lbs.

Is this a broadhead issue or a ME issue. I never had this happen, except once with 1 rage, and its disgusting. Since going to a fixed blade my recovery rate is dogshit

Can you see where the arrow is hitting? Bright red blood without bubbles may indicate a muscle hit. Will show heavy bleeding but will eventually slow down/stop, unless you hit a main vein and they can bleed out potentially. Where was hole on the one that the farmer found?

What color is the hair you have on the arrow? Any chance of getting a tracking dog on it?

It is almost always shot placement although some broadheads do much better with marginal or even bad shots, and you are not using one of them.

Form what you described I can't imagine you hit the lung. If you have an exit with a lung hit, blood is forced immediately out because the animal is gasping for air and in doing so forcing the air with blood out. Are you using compound? If you are then I would ask, are you sure you are not lowering the bow instead of bending at waist?  

Get a target, place it 30 yards from your stand and take some shots. How did you hit the last deer found by farmer.

Edited by Lunatic

Get some target time with the broadhead make sure that shot placement is where you want it, then go from there, try to get elevated when you practice, if you're getting pass throughs, but not recovering deer, your shots aren't going where you think, also give lighted nocks a try, I had a similar issue a few years a go, it turned out the upper limb of my bow was torqued, caused me two bad hits untill I went back to the bale and found the issue.

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

It is almost always shot placement although some broadheads do much better with marginal or even bad shots, and you are not using one of them.

Form what you described I can't imagine you hit the lung. If you have an exit with a lung hit, blood is forced immediately out because the animal is gasping for air and in doing so forcing the air with blood out. Are you using compound? If you are then I would ask, are you sure you are not lowering the bow instead of bending at waist?  

Get a target, place it 30 yards from your stand and take some shots. How did you hit the last deer found by farmer.

i dont believe lung either since no bubbles or anything. Its a compound and only thimg different from previous years til now is broadhead and i had the bow turned up from 60 to 65#

I started using he G5 Strikers last year after a good friend recommended  me to try them, as he had great results from them. Well before the season I shot them and they flew perfect, zero issues. Opening day of bear season I shot a bear at 15 yards, complete pass thru, and a great blood trail to follow

I shot each broadhead and matched them to the arrow they shot best with. I spin tested them and made sure no wobbles. I cam cut the vanes off my last arrow if i shoot same dot usually thays y im stumped.

Yes but maybe, and just maybe, you are doing something wrong when shooting down from the tree stand.