IGNORED

To Nuke or Not to Nuke?

Rusty

I thought this was a North Korea post too!

I've watched many folks nuke food in a sizzling mess while it's wrapped tight in Saran Wrap, much like the OP described. Then I saw a segment on 60 Minutes a few years ago on how bad soft plastics are for you, especially when heated in the microwave, and I've used glass containers whenever using the microwave.ever since.

Every morning I cook a deer burger on a George Foreman grill. I put it in a baggie and bring it to work. At lunch I heat it uncovered on a paper plate in the nuker for 45 seconds. Then put it on a potato roll with cheese and ketchup. It's juicy and delicious!

Too funny Woodsman, I thought the George Foreman grill was a joke until we got a huge one as a gift several years ago. I have to say, this thing does in fact makes an awesome, juicy burger in a pinch. Love that grill and cleanup is a cinch lol.

We do not own a microwave, and I refuse to buy one at our house.  At work I will occasionally reheat some left overs, but for the most part I bring a salad for lunch everyday.  With a good gas stove there is no real need for a microwave.

I worked for an outfit in Rockland County for a few years and never understood how somebody could microwave fish, or stuff with a high content of curry in an office setting but it happened almost everyday...  Then there was the guy who made buttered popcorn at 2pm everyday.   

What are your thoughts on microwaving food?

I work with a woman that nukes her lunch everyday.  She puts seran wrap over her food then stares into the microwave as her food pops and sizzles.  The seran wrap melts onto her food and she pulls it off in gloppy chunks.   :shakehead:

Is this your co-worker looking for the microwave?

image.jpeg

Actually, there is a very important role to plastic wrap in the microwave.  If you're going to reheat something, put 4-5 drops of water onto the plate your food is residing on.  Cover the whole thing in plastic wrap, sealing it.  Pop it into the nuker.  Microwaves agitate water molecules and create heat that way.  So the 4-5 drops of water turn into steam, and the plastic wrap will expand.  The steam will heat the food faster and more thoroughly while keeping it moist.  When the nuker is done, carefully remove the plastic wrap.  I can't tell you how many times I've gotten blisters on my fingers doing this, so you're forewarned.

Dirty little secret:  I used to work in various restaurants growing up and through college.  We used to cook pasta in the afternoon and chill it down with cold water.  Into a plastic bucket it went with a wet towel over it.  When someone ordered a plate, I'd go into the walk-in, grab a handful, pour some water into it, and nuke it for a couple of minutes.  Pour some red sauce over it, and dinner was served.  That's where I learned the water/plastic trick, and where I suffered with burnt finger tips.

Gotcha you  :nerd: said I ( honestly ) don't know how to use a Microwave for food that is.  which is it  ;)

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

We do not own a microwave, and I refuse to buy one at our house.  At work I will occasionally reheat some left overs, but for the most part I bring a salad for lunch everyday.  With a good gas stove there is no real need for a microwave.

I worked for an outfit in Rockland County for a few years and never understood how somebody could microwave fish, or stuff with a high content of curry in an office setting but it happened almost everyday...  Then there was the guy who made buttered popcorn at 2pm everyday.   

I assume the person was from India? lol

I know some really nice folks from India, but dang ... that curry! It can even get in your clothing. lol

I'm another anti-plastic person. I got rid of all my wife's plastic containers, and replaced them pyrex glass ones.

Very high temperature cooking? Nothing synthetic. Pan, utensils, nothing.

Maybe its all in my head. lol

Reheat...sure. Cook? Heck no! lol

That lady puts seran wrap to cover her food while heating up?   :whacky:

I use a paper plate or paper towel to cover up the food. Maybe she likes the added texture of the melted seran wrap? You can go from chicken noodle soup to chunky chicken noodle in 30 seconds  :headscratch:

Edited by outdoorslife

Gotcha you  :nerd: said I ( honestly ) don't know how to use a Microwave for food that is.  which is it  ;)

Technically I am turning water into steam.  If there happens to be something somewhat edible in there that is edible when it comes out, that's just pure luck.  Turning water to steam using microwaves it just another physics experiment.   :nerd:

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Technically I am turning water into steam.  If there happens to be something somewhat edible in there that is edible when it comes out, that's just pure luck.  Turning water to steam using microwaves it just another physics experiment.   :nerd:

We recently did a kitchen renovation, we had the microwave discussion.  She brought up "popcorn".  I use a cast iron pot and make it on the stove. She is fine with that.  For reheating Pizza, I just throw it in the oven. Other than that microwaves have no use in my house.

We recently did a kitchen renovation, we had the microwave discussion.  She brought up "popcorn".  I use a cast iron pot and make it on the stove. She is fine with that.  For reheating Pizza, I just throw it in the oven. Other than that microwaves have no use in my house.

I never owed a microwave or TV until I started living with my wife.  Food is supposed to be cooked with fire, not electricity, IMHO.

Reheating pizza on a pizza stone in an oven using fire is the best way to do it.  Takes some time and planning, but it tastes excellent.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.