IGNORED

Thoughts on EAB - combined threads

dlist777

FOLKS - please listen up very carefully.  I just confirmed with a state biologist contact that this is indeed 100% a rumor.

Please wait for the official regulation sets to come out.   

:shock:

Now you tell me, I already took my stands down :happywave:

Edited by Lunatic

I don't disagree with you on the 2 bucks/season because my previous argument actually leads itself to it, giving the hunter the entire hunting season to get his two bucks.

I simply think that even the guy your described it takes 1 or two bucks/season.

I would actually like to see change in the classification of button bucks. It should be counted as a buck.

I agree! Button bucks are bucks! Know your target and beyond or don't shoot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't disagree with you on the 2 bucks/season because my previous argument actually leads itself to it, giving the hunter the entire hunting season to get his two bucks.

I simply think that even the guy your described it takes 1 or two bucks/season.

I would actually like to see change in the classification of button bucks. It should be counted as a buck.

The key to the two buck tag is that it be flexible, use when and how you want. Completely remove the current mentality of marrying buck tag to permit season to weapon. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

From the proposed changes to the Game Code:

33. The Earn-a-Buck (EAB) program requires deer hunters to harvest an antlerless deer before pursuing an antlered deer for harvest. The Council is proposing to amend the rules to authorize the Fish and Game Council to eliminate the requirement for the EAB requirement prior to the season opening, provided certain criteria are met and in consultation with the Director. In accordance with the proposed amendment, the Council may reinstate the EAB requirement after consultation with the Director. The proposed change would be applicable to Regulation Sets 4 through 8. The EAB program is additionally applicable to specific special zones including Federal facilities; the proposed amendment would not apply to those zones. Pursuant to the EAB requirement, hunters must harvest an antlerless deer before they can pursue and take a buck during the first two weeks of the Fall Bow season in the DMZs of certain regulation sets. In order for a zone to be considered for a change under the proposed amendments, the yearly antlered harvest must fall below 15 percent of the goal for that specific zone. A table listing antlered harvest goals and management strategies for each deer management zone is available at N.J.A.C. 7:25-5.29®. This change will allow the Council to make a timelier response to unforeseen or undesirable population changes in order to better achieve deer management goals. Removing or reinstating the EAB regulation will allow for harvests that will better meet management objectives within a given DMZ, if need be, by manipulating the number of antlerless deer taken. Any such action regarding the EAB requirement of a particular DMZ will be made by publication of a notice of administrative change in the New Jersey Register, as well as by posting notice on the Division’s website at www.njfishandwildlife.com, via listserv, and in the Digest. See N.J.A.C. 7:25-5.25©1.

If the state made a 2 buck tag for all seasons then there would be no difference.

I respectfully disagree - it may not make a difference in overall harvest, but it may make a difference in quality and hunting experience. It would eliminate the late October "gotta fill my tag" mentality and let the same bucks walk on 10/24 that the hunter did on 10/3... It also allows a hunter that fills his tag early, to get right back out there... If one chooses to fill both tags in bow, they sit out 6-day... It's a personal choice made by the hunter, not the state and overall would just promote better behavior and provide a better hunting experience. It could also provide a slight difference in quality of bucks year over year

Sorry let me clarify.....

2 buck tags for all seasons - I mean 2 bucks for the WHOLE SEASON! Meaning buy two tags and use them how you wish! Sorry didn't type that clearly!!!

From the proposed changes to the Game Code:

33. The Earn-a-Buck (EAB) program requires deer hunters to harvest an antlerless deer before pursuing an antlered deer for harvest. The Council is proposing to amend the rules to authorize the Fish and Game Council to eliminate the requirement for the EAB requirement prior to the season opening, provided certain criteria are met and in consultation with the Director. In accordance with the proposed amendment, the Council may reinstate the EAB requirement after consultation with the Director. The proposed change would be applicable to Regulation Sets 4 through 8. The EAB program is additionally applicable to specific special zones including Federal facilities; the proposed amendment would not apply to those zones. Pursuant to the EAB requirement, hunters must harvest an antlerless deer before they can pursue and take a buck during the first two weeks of the Fall Bow season in the DMZs of certain regulation sets. In order for a zone to be considered for a change under the proposed amendments, the yearly antlered harvest must fall below 15 percent of the goal for that specific zone. A table listing antlered harvest goals and management strategies for each deer management zone is available at N.J.A.C. 7:25-5.29®. This change will allow the Council to make a timelier response to unforeseen or undesirable population changes in order to better achieve deer management goals. Removing or reinstating the EAB regulation will allow for harvests that will better meet management objectives within a given DMZ, if need be, by manipulating the number of antlerless deer taken. Any such action regarding the EAB requirement of a particular DMZ will be made by publication of a notice of administrative change in the New Jersey Register, as well as by posting notice on the Division’s website at www.njfishandwildlife.com, via listserv, and in the Digest. See N.J.A.C. 7:25-5.25©1.

I read this back in April or so..whenever it came out...I read it as eliminating the 'requirement' to shoot a buck first...so I was surprised when I saw the reg sets posted that had a total elimination of buck hunting in Sept.  Anyway, it appears that the whole thing could be a big screw up anyway as Jack called the state and they said it's a rumor.  Strange that they would be handing out reg sets that are only a "rumor"...but nothing surprises me anymore.  My apologies to all if I got half of you riled up and half of you excited for no reason!  

Edited by dlist777

I have no answer for that other than to say, I just got the update straight from the horses mouth. I have no reason to make that up - the phone call really happened.

JH, I gotnit directly from another "horses mouth" that it is not rumor, that it was voted through by the council and is in final process as B&B mentioned.

Apparently there's more then one horse at the Division! LOL

Maybe he meant until it's finalized that it's just rumor?

I read this back in April or so..whenever it came out...I read it as eliminating the 'requirement' to shoot a buck first...so I was surprised when I saw the reg sets posted that had a total elimination of buck hunting in Sept.  Anyway, it appears that the whole thing could be a big screw up anyway as Jack called the state and they said it's a rumor.  Strange that they would be handing out reg sets that are only a "rumor"...but nothing surprises me anymore.  My apologies to all if I got half of you riled up and half of you excited for no reason!  

This is always a good topic for review, it does demonstrate that most of us have the same deer goals and objectives in mind, and even the meat hunter can often agree with the horn hunter when it comes to regulations and limits.

I shot a big 10pt once….

This is always a good topic for review, it does demonstrate that most of us have the same deer goals and objectives in mind, and even the meat hunter can often agree with the horn hunter when it comes to regulations and limits.

Agreed! It's a great discussion and debate that is good to have! Deer Management for both meat and horn hunters is important to the future of our sport.

You try and force a guy to burn a buck stub on a button, and you'll find dead buttons, when zone 3 went to the 3 point on one side rule, I found lots of spikes 3's and forks laying dead, shot. Knowing your target is great and everyone should, but I've been at this for 30 years, and I've shot a button or two thinking it was a small doe, I love it when we have antis telling me I shouldn't be hunting at all, and hunters telling what deer I can and can't shoot, all because he wants antlers, maybe the head hunters out there need to do some soul searching and ask themselves why they are focused so much on just antlers. Just my opinion, for me it's not about antlers.

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

JH, I gotnit directly from another "horses mouth" that it is not rumor, that it was voted through by the council and is in final process as B&B mentioned.

Apparently there's more then one horse at the Division! LOL

Maybe he meant until it's finalized that it's just rumor?

There are several divisions within - it's possible there would be some disconnect/delay in communication.  Regardless of what it is, the finals are due out soon and there will be no rumors, just fact.

I shot a big 10pt once….

You try and force a guy to burn a buck stub on a button, and you'll find dead buttons, when zone 3 went to the 3 point on one side rule, I found lots of spikes 3's and forks laying dead, shot. Knowing your target is great and everyone should, but I've been at this for 30 years, and I've shot a button or two thinking it was a small doe, I love it when we have antis telling me I shouldn't be hunting at all, and hunters telling what deer I can and can't shoot, all because he wants antlers, maybe the head hunters out there need to do some soul searching and ask themselves why they are focused so much on just antlers. Just my opinion, for me it's not about antlers.

I don't think anyone can rationally explain why a big rack excites them, and I am specifically referring to game animals, not female humans of course (because that can be very rationally explained). Deer, elk, , 'bou, moose, stag, antelope, impala, nyala, kudu,  buffalo, goat, sheep, and the list goes on...

The reality is just about any hunter would prefer to shoot the mature large racked animal over an immature smaller version if standing side by side. Within that  - are varying degrees of separation from the trophy hunter and the meat hunter.

Myself personally, I try to target bucks 4.5 years and older, but often "settle" for a 3.5 year old.  A lot of it is the bone, I cannot lie and I cannot explain why, but much of it is the purity of the challenge of arrowing a mature buck, the smartest craftiest animal in the area. Don't make me repeat my "tripod" story but that buck was aged at 6.5 and is to date my biggest trophy and the smallest antlered mount I have.  

In spite of my lust for mature bone - I make it my personal mission that no kill is legit unless the meat is harvested, and I do eat what I kill. I also enjoy taking a doe (or 2) every season with the bow and once again, enjoy the meat very much as well.

Many trophy hunters I know won't eat what they kill - but take measure to ensure it does not go to waste.

The only hunters I have an issue with are:

1) The " brown it's down " hunter that doesn't even eat the damn things, they give it all away and just want to kill kill kill.  

2) The trophy hunter that just takes the head and doesn't properly care for the meat (I do believe it's illegal but not sure how enforceable it is).

Fortunately I think 1 & 2 are in the vast minority.

Edited by JHbowhunter

I shot a big 10pt once….

Well said!

I think we all want the best deer to show up in our spots and in range, regardless if we are hunting horns or hocks.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.