IGNORED

Thoughts on EAB - combined threads

dlist777

Hurrrayyyy

It sucks that they took away our opportunity at an early buck still in its summer pattern though.

When are they gonna realize.

2 bucks per season PERIOD!

Early season is nice if you have a giant on cam during the summer

Step in the right direction

I personally don't like it. I will still take one Doe in September as I always did but then there is no excitement for a potential buck.

I agree!!! I think the deer season in this zone should just start early and when you burn your buck tag you are done till permit! Period! Just open the season up, this makes no sense to me either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hurrrayyyy

It sucks that they took away our opportunity at an early buck still in its summer pattern though.

When are they gonna realize.

2 bucks per season PERIOD!

Early season is nice if you have a giant on cam during the summer

Step in the right direction

Agreed!

6 bucks if you buy all the tags is crazy!!!

As I stated in a prior response on this thread, just start the season early and when you decide to fill a tag you are done! I don't see what the states benefit or reasoning is to wait till October!

One of the complaints about EAB was that too many button bucks were being shot, so this should help to increase the number of antlered bucks in future years.

onlt thing about that Rusty was I did the research on those numbers while I was still on the other site, think it was a few years ago, when some guy claimed that 90% of EAB was buttons!!! I'm sure that guy was being dramatic, but as it turned out buttons made up only I think it was 20% of just the EAB, and around 12-15% of the Total of deer killed over all, so I'm not buying the whole button bucks are being wiped on during EAB argument, is they were no one would be seeing let alone shooting antlered bucks! Lol.

My hunting interests are different than most, I don't chase bucks, I hunt deer, that's not too say I'll pass on a 10 point should it walk by, I'm just not out there looking for him is all, I care more about filling my freezer, and a yearling or two year old buck will fill it as well as any doe, I'm not in it only to put heads on the wall.

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

I merged the two EAB topics into one....  FYI

I agree it's a step in the right direction, but ideally all they needed to do was just limit harvest to 2 bucks per calendar year with completely flexible tags to use when and how you want (I started this proposal on NJH years ago and it's always seemed to be overwhelmingly agreed to), take when you want, and leave September alone, and stop the unlimited gun slaughter after 6 day.  I say gave the deer a break to all hunting by the end of January.

Can anyone find a link to this information on NJDF&G?  I don't see the new reg sets out yet, nor is the new digest until August.   Usually they post amendments but I cannot find this info...

Also in the interest of total clarity, in NJ, a hunter can actually legally take 7 bucks, provided they qualify as a youth.  While I am sure it has been done by an over-zealous dad putting his child onto 7 legal bucks in one year, I would seriously question the message and lessons it would be teaching said youth.

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

onlt thing about that Rusty was I did the research on those numbers while I was still on the other site, think it was a few years ago, when some guy claimed that 90% of EAB was buttons!!! I'm sure that guy was being dramatic, but as it turned out buttons made up only I think it was 20% of just the EAB, and around 12-15% of the Total of deer killed over all, so I'm not buying the whole button bucks are being wiped on during EAB argument, is they were no one would be seeing let alone shooting antlered bucks! Lol.

My hunting interests are different than most, I don't chase bucks, I hunt deer, that's not too say I'll pass on a 10 point should it walk by, I'm just not out there looking for him is all, I care more about filling my freezer, and a yearling or two year old buck will fill it as well as any doe, I'm not in it only to put heads on the wall.

Ghostbear - great points and everyone hunts different and as long as it is ethical and legal it's all good. One of the issues though is that when reporting if it doesn't have horns people will just put doe. So I think buttons are under reporter anyway.

Also even IF only 20% are buttons think about how many buttons that is in just a 3 week period. So I think this is positive and can't wait to see the numbers next year and see the effects 2-4years down the road.

I too mainly hunt to fill my freezer but I will target a good set of horns when and if I can.

Edited by SlugsnArrows

I merged the two EAB topics into one....  FYI

I agree it's a step in the right direction, but ideally all they needed to do was just limit harvest to 2 bucks per calendar year with completely flexible tags to use when and how you want (I started this proposal on NJH years ago and it's always seemed to be overwhelmingly agreed to), take when you want, and leave September alone, and stop the unlimited gun slaughter after 6 day.  I say gave the deer a break to all hunting by the end of January.

Can anyone find a link to this information on NJDF&G?  I don't see the new reg sets out yet, nor is the new digest until August.   Usually they post amendments but I cannot find this info...

The proposed changes were on the website during the public comment period. They have disappeared now.

I'm your Huckleberry :devious:

Ghostbear - great points and everyone hunts different and as long as it is ethical and legal it's all good. One of the issues though is that when reporting of it doesn't have horns people will just put doe. So I think buttons are under reporter anyway.

Also even IF only 20% are buttons think about how many buttons that is in just a 3 week period. So I think this is positive and can't wait to see the numbers next year and see the effects 2-4years down the road.

I too mainly hunt to fill my freezer but I will target a good set of horns when and if I can.

No worries, but when you register they ask if it's a doe or button, when you dress the deer you'll know! Lol so I don't believe that buttons are under reported, what I do believe is so called hunters waiting till midday to call in a doe that was never shot, I think that happens way more than under reporting a button, just my thoughts on it.

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

Great idea to combined threads! I would have never posted mine had I seen the original thread!

I think to sum up all of the opinions on here.....

Getting Rid of EAB is a positive.

I think all or most can agree that they should have just started our Season and Made opening day in those zones in September.

I hunt zone 2 so I'm interested to see what happens there! Lol, but if I could score land to hunt in zone 13 or 36!! I'm sure I could fill out my freezer in no time! Lol, but I do agree that zone 5 and 8 could use a break. Pequest and whittingham are not at all like they used to be.

I hunt zone 2 so I'm interested to see what happens there! Lol, but if I could score land to hunt in zone 13 or 36!! I'm sure I could fill out my freezer in no time! Lol, but I do agree that zone 5 and 8 could use a break. Pequest and whittingham are not at all like they used to be.

Public land should be re-zoned individually, and no way in hell should have unlimited anything.

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….