IGNORED

It's not over yet, but...

bigwuhead

It's been a pretty good Turkey season so far.  

Opening morning, I shot a dandy of a Tom.  25# triple bearded bird with some beautiful spurs.  No more than 5 minutes after I shot, Andy was able to fill his tag for a nice double!  

We had birds responding and coming to our call from one direction, when I happened to look up and see this guy come up from a totally different direction, all alone, and totally silent.  Thank God for the decoys.  He skirted the field, and came all the way around, and once he saw the decoy, he was committed.  As soon as he cleared some brush, I took my shot and down he went.  I had no idea until we walked up to him that he was the old single guy who had been kicked out of the club and was always by himself.  Tagged him and we were about to go set up somewhere else when we heard the other birds gobble and still coming in, so we ended up sitting back down, leaving all out stuff just sitting there, and called those birds in and Andy was able to get a shot!  

Turkey 1 2017.jpg

Turkey 1a 2017.jpg

This past Friday night, we headed out onto a piece of public land we've never been to, but knew there were birds in the area.  After a hot, humid walk up hill through some thick crap, we got a response to our calling, so we backed down the hill a bit to a good setup spot, got into position.  Andy did some soft calling, and we got a gobble and what we thought was a hen.  Finally I could see the head, and Andy gave the, "Shoot that Bird" okay, so I shot and a Jake takes off and flies right over us.  Holy shit I missed.  As we sat there for what felt like forever wondering how I could have missed but was probably only 30 seconds we heard the flapping and flopping!  I jumped up and ran up the hill and sure enough it was a long beard!  Talk about relief!  He weighed in at 22#s, 12" beard and some decent spurs.  

Turkey 2 2017.jpg

Remember when I told you....'you ain't shot a Turkey till you've shot a spring Gobbler "?

Was I right ?

Big different between spring and fall.

Congrats on the birds....you've got a good mentor.

BIG difference, but you could have warned me about the lack of sleep or that I'd hear gobbles ringing in my ears for weeks!  Talk about addicting.  I still can't believe how great a season we are having in our house and hopefully we can fill a few more tags before the season ends.

I only kick myself for not getting my first bird weighed properly, he'd be a record holder.  BUT at least he's getting mounted.