IGNORED

RAGE (just had to)

Honestly, that's pretty telling pics.  It's basically like a field point, potentially horribly inhumane, and as you said, potential for losing the animal is extremely high.   No thanks.  :(

This looks to you like a field point hit? This is wider than and fixed blade could ever make:-)

007_zps215da1f6.jpg

Nope, a classic double lung

I agree with hammer4reel on this.  While it looks like the arrow is in the area where it could have passed through both lungs, given the angle is must have just missed one of them.  You cant survive with two punctured lungs.

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

The bottom line is:  

1.  Mechanical broadheads might open early or not open at all:  advantage fixed

2.  Mechanical broadheads have larger cutting diameter.  advantage mechanical

How these two balance out in large numbers (not individual examples) is impossible to know for sure.  Shoot them both.  Find which you are more confidant in.  Use that one.  Any doubt when letting an arrow fly can lead to a bad shot.  Confidence is the key.  

Edited by dlist777

Everyone makes great points. This was one of the best RAGE debates yet. Surely not the last.

Agreed. Except for years, both Hammer and I have reported real, factual first-hand accounts of the Rage mechanical BH actually having some sort of failure, whether it be failure to open at all in his case, or premature one blade or both opened in flight which probably happened in my case causing the deflection of rib cage.  

Not a single Rage user, has ever acknowledge that we know what we are talking about and can see how that could happen, on this site, NJH, or bowsite.com.   Most of the responses I have gotten over the years was either operator error or poorly tuned bow or both.  None of which is true.  I have 33 years archery experience, and Hammer has even more and has competed in the past and knows a thing or two about bow tuning.   

The brand loyalty has been so extreme, that not a single Rage user has EVER opened up to the potential for a mechanical failure of any sort...   

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

2.  Mechanical broadheads have larger cutting diameter.  advantage mechanical

Some of us don't look at that as an advantage, but as a disadvantage due to more ruined meat.    One person's view of a massive gaping hole is another person's view of lost meals.

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

Here we go Jack you ready. You and Dan know what your talking I don't doubt that. Any piece of equipment can fail including a RAGE. It's maid by a human and used by a human meaning nothing is guaranteed. With that said there is potential for a mechanical failure of a RAGE.

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

Some of us don't look at that as an advantage, but as a disadvantage due to more ruined meat.    One person's view of a massive gaping hole is another person's view of lost meals.

There is no meat for you to talk about when your narrow fixed blade misses an organ on a marginal shot by 1/2". use rage and the same arrow placement will cut into the organ. of course evrybody is perfect never making bad shots:-)

My hope is that  none of you shooting rage Heads ever has a problem with them .
That I never get to say I told you so.

Lunatic while you may have had great results with rage . I can say by your posts you haven't used fixed blades much . As many create  giant holes . That while they start out small at 1" to 1 1/2" their blade angles create hide pinch doubling the size of the hole .
A three blade muzzle in the lungs will put a deer down with a much more impressive hole than it appears it would make .

A RAGE head that doesnt open only makes a 3/4" slice, def not bigger than all the other fixed blade type heads.

After shooting hundreds of deer , with over 50 brands of broad Heads . Over 40 years competing shooting a bow. Owning a pro shop. Don't ever sell a small head as not being effective .

The small toxic broad head creates more internal damage than ANY head on the market . Put deer down quick .but the hole in the hide is so small there isn't a drop of blood . 

But they are super effective .

All comes down to what works . So for me a head doesn't get to fail a second time.

A broadhead should do all of the things below.

Shoot accurately 

Stay intact after hitting game.

create a good wound channel that wont close up

create massive blood loss for ease of trailing.

and currently their are hundreds of great heads out there. I remember when there was only about 5

Edited by hammer4reel

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

I have a 100 percent kill rate, deer drop in site, stone dead in a few seconds with a 1 inch diameter 3 blade fixed. Why? I believe it's because of shot angle or lack of. I shoot from the ground on a slight downward angle. My shot goes straight horizontal​ through both lungs. Shooting down from a high stand is not going to center punch both lungs, don't care how big the rage cut is, assuming it opens.

I have a 100 percent kill rate, deer drop in site, stone dead in a few seconds with a 1 inch diameter 3 blade fixed. Why? I believe it's because of shot angle or lack of. I shoot from the ground on a slight downward angle. My shot goes straight horizontal​ through both lungs. Shooting down from a high stand is not going to center punch both lungs, don't care how big the rage cut is, assuming it opens.

I generally always get both lungs (not dead center) but maybe a few inches high of center on one side and a few inches low on the exit. Extremely lethal with any BH.  And generally find my arrow stuck in ground.  Nothing wrong with ground shots either except the few that I have taken from Ground blind, never did find my arrow they may still be flying :)

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….