IGNORED

Dog food options

How does it taste?.. :rofl:  :rofl:

Personally, I think an animal should be fed its natural diet..  Feed it REAL MEAT!!

We did a raw diet for many years for our dogs. It's kind of a pain in the butt to do, and when my wife had a baby we decided to go back to commercial food. I don't want to worry about bacteria from raw meat, seafood, organ meats, etc all over my house with a child crawling around.

I don't want to worry about bacteria from raw meat, seafood, organ meats, etc all over my house with a child crawling around.            

Understandable.. But I'm not sure why commercial dog food would be any better in that respect..

:D

While their are a zillion reviews about both good and bad dog foods , based on results of my dogs living almost twice as long as their litter mates .

I found Old Roy foods ( which is as cheap as it gets ) to do very well for my dogs .

Both my Rotties and labs did way better on it than many of the higher end foods .

Dogs were super fit, Coates were shiny

Captain Dan and the Griswolds can't be wrong!

christmas-vacation-randy-quaid-chevy-chase-wal-mart.jpg

"All men die, not all men really live". WW

Understandable.. But I'm not sure why commercial dog food would be any better in that respect..

Most of the higher quality foods have far more strict quality controls in place and seldom have issues with any nasty stuff. Most dogfood recalls are usually the purina/alpo grade of slop

I use the kirkland signature natures domain and alterate the protein between salmon beef and turkey. Then add some different things to it to keep it interesting since my pointer sometimes needs some motivation to finish. Venison scraps or pheasant when its around. The problem is the beagle will eat the pointers food if she walks away from it.

I just started using nupro gravy supplements to top it and it has been going well.

The food is less than $1 a pound and the nupro was $35 for enough to last a couple of months.

I feed my dogs Kirkland (Costco) also, more bang for the buck, and comparable to the high-end brands like Blue Buffalo & Taste of the Wild. Feed it to both the dropper and my wife's terrier. I usually mix in some cooked ground beef, turkey leg meat, bluefish, or whatever I have excess in the freezer, or an occasional can of good dog food if they seem bored. Stay away from anything that has added grain as a main ingredient.

Edited by Stan Putz

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook. :cook:

Fromm is a top notch food made by a family owned American company with quality ingredients. It's also affordable I feed it to both my dogs and couldn't be happier.

I, too, feed both my GSP and GWP Fromm and have no plans on switching.  They're both super active and in great shape.  It gets them enough calories to keep weight on during the season and muscle them up in the off-season.  All of the vets that I've been to are on board with it too and they seem to like it.  The GSP used to be very picky and we were constantly switching.  Once we went to Fromm, we've been using the same two bags for years now.

Fromm is a top notch food made by a family owned American company with quality ingredients. It's also affordable I feed it to both my dogs and couldn't be happier.

I, also, feed both my GSP and GWP Fromm and have no plans on switching.  They're both super active and in great shape.  We run 1-2 times a day.  It gets them enough calories to keep weight on during the season and muscle them up a bit in the off-season.  All of the vets that I've been to are on-board with it too and the dogs seem to like it.  The GSP used to be very picky and we were constantly switching.  Once we went to Fromm, we've been using the same two bags for years now.

Essentially the same ingredients and ratings as Solid Gold, Taste of the Wild or the Grain Free Wegmans brand food (which is what we use now and save boatloads of money by buying)

having good luck with the "authority" brand for large breed, from Petsmart. Lab has great coat, high energy, and he is as fit as they come and will turn 3 this June. I can't predict his health 8 years from now though. He's a swimmer (swims a lot) so I suspect that will be good on his joints and hopefully serves him well down the line...

IMG_4951.JPG

IMG_5171.JPG

IMG_5140.JPG

IMG_5138.JPG

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….