IGNORED

Dog food options

After a lot of think, and some pressuring from the family , I gettin another dog. Having a Weimaraner when I was younger I always loved the breed . After a vet , and Rimadyl, robbed me of my pup I swore I was done dogs but the house is too empty with out one ..

I've had dogs in the past with allergies and the food choices are out of control ...

Who can point me in the right direction? So far I've been thinking Framm but I'm honestly lost .. So many of the big companies buy these smaller brands it's near impossible to figure which is worth it .

Thank you

It took us almost a year to be ready for a new dog after ours died last summer, she was 15.  But as someone on here said once, a house without a dog is not a home.

Wish I could help with your food question but I don't have any experience with food allergy issues.

Best of luck with your new pup Rdfhunter, we're getting ours in May and I can't wait.   

I am just using the Petsmart "Authority" brand for my Lab...  Large Breed version. Natural Chicken.      Seems to do just fine. Once in a while I give him the lamb variety. There are so many "high end" designer brands out there now, I think we have lost sight of one fact  - they are dogs.  They eat bad stuff.   I think as long as you check the ingredients, and don't give them "Ol Roy" from Walmart or the regular Purina and Alpo stuff, it's fine . by small bags first to see what the dog likes.     

Get a dog, life is too short to be without one, and don't overthink it. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

I use the kirkland signature natures domain and alterate the protein between salmon beef and turkey. Then add some different things to it to keep it interesting since my pointer sometimes needs some motivation to finish. Venison scraps or pheasant when its around. The problem is the beagle will eat the pointers food if she walks away from it.

I just started using nupro gravy supplements to top it and it has been going well.

The food is less than $1 a pound and the nupro was $35 for enough to last a couple of months.

I am just using the Petsmart "Authority" brand for my Lab...  Large Breed version. Natural Chicken.      Seems to do just fine. Once in a while I give him the lamb variety. There are so many "high end" designer brands out there now, I think we have lost sight of one fact  - they are dogs.  They eat bad stuff.   I think as long as you check the ingredients, and don't give them "Ol Roy" from Walmart or the regular Purina and Alpo stuff, it's fine . by small bags first to see what the dog likes.     

Get a dog, life is too short to be without one, and don't overthink it.

I get it ,,, I'm by no means gonna over think.

The top 3 food allergies in dogs is beef, wheat and chicken. Kibble carries much more nutrition then wet foods. Wet foods also cause plaque which leads to unhealthy conditions for the dog. One person mentioned Merrick as a choice. I believe everything Garth Merrick uses is sourced in the US and their facility is immaculately sanitary. If you ever want to give your dog a nice treat then give a can of Merrick's wing a ling or smothered comfort. They have a chicken wing or chicken thigh hand packed into the can. The chicken is cooked in pressure cookers so the bone can be smooshed into a paste almost from being processed that way. They use chicken bones to make glucosimine in supplements for pets. If you have any questions feel free to send me a message. I have met several of the owners of these food companies. 

"If you don't have a dog - at least one there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there maybe something wrong with you life"

Vincent Van Gogh

I have 3 dogs each on a different food PITA for sure all eat homemade wet food of all venison scraps, carrots, celery, peppers, cranberries and few other things.

But each have own dry food one science diet, science diet sensitive stomach and the other on blue buffalo.

Sometimes you get lucky off the rip other it's a little trial and error. Once you got solid poop your golden.

Just don't keep changing quick, see what works and stay with it

Not a complete a$$ hole just one of the dingle berries that hang off it.

I have been feeding pedigree for 40+ years. One dog had stomach issues and had to get a designer food. No luck, stomach cancer. Had an English Mastiff, 190 Lbs. & lived to 13.5 years old on pedigree. Now have amer. bulldog. no issues. Had at least 6 boxers in that time also. Irish setter and a few mutts.

Tractor Supply 4Health Beef & Potato and Diamond High Energy.

My GSP is non stop year round and I run her daily.

I mix the 2 bags together so she is getting a blend.

Showed the ingredient label to my Vet and she said it was fine.

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.