IGNORED

No blood trail

kevinh9189

Probably is internal but how do I track that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if no blood, then you must look for: broken limbs, tracks, small drops of blood.....liver shots they don't go far and will expire within a few hours, also they tend to head towards water

Go back when you have some light and start following the direct the deer went. If you find nothing start circling. If you have a good shot it will be a quick morning. If not you will be beating the bushes looking for clues.

I spent most of my money on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.

If it is internal it will eventually build up and come out. Take it very slow and methodical. Mark your trail and stay with the blood! Don't get ahead of yourself.  If you run out as a last resort as Nomad said you can do a grid pattern search. Good luck!

Mathews Halon

United Bowhunters of NJ

NWTF - Tri County Longbeards

New Jersey Outdoor Alliance

Track the deer from where you last saw it. Some blood should start leaking out. If not then circle or grid search the area.

There is a large pond there, I won't be able to search till tomorrow afternoon but I will do everything I can to recover this animal

Good questions and advice by everyone so far.

How far away was the deer? What type of bow, draw weight and length, broadhead etc? Do you normally get passthroughs?

Dark red could be a liver shot. I'd give him several hours or wait until the AM for sure.

It's supposed to be cold tonight, so the meat should be fine.

Maybe mark the area where you last saw him and like Nomad said, start your search there . Go slowly and look on the ground, on bushes or tall grass, on trees, etc

Thank you all for the advice, I'm a teacher and this is my 3rd year hunting. Due to teaching I won't be able to get there till about 3 tomorrow but I will be searching hard till dark. Never wanted to have to go through this

All good advice offered by others. I would only add that you bring someone along to help you search. May be a long search but wishing you a successful recovery.

If I knew anyone else who understood hunting I would, learning hunting solo lol

Good questions and advice by everyone so far.

How far away was the deer? What type of bow, draw weight and length, broadhead etc? Do you normally get passthroughs?

Dark red could be a liver shot. I'd give him several hours or wait until the AM for sure.

It's supposed to be cold tonight, so the meat should be fine.

Maybe mark the area where you last saw him and like Nomad said, start your search there . Go slowly and look on the ground, on bushes or tall grass, on trees, etc

I normally do get a pass through. It is standard broadheads not even sure of the name but the three pointed ones. Never had a problem. He was 15 years out I was 17 feet up

I'm assuming pic you posted is shot location? Blood doesn't appear to be too dark, that could just be blood from initial contact. Any idea on where you hit the deer, behind shoulder, front of shoulder, neck, etc? Think the shot over in your head and try and re create it the best you can.

Thank you all for the advice, I'm a teacher and this is my 3rd year hunting. Due to teaching I won't be able to get there till about 3 tomorrow but I will be searching hard till dark. Never wanted to have to go through this

In all honesty, if happens to everyone but you shouldn't be hunting evenings if you don't have the opportunity to come back at first light and look for the deer.  In the winter with all animals out looking for food, waiting until 3PM the next day is asking for a butt hole chewing from coyotes and other predators.  We all have gone through it and for me it happens because I hunt from a ground blind and the chest cavity doesn't fill up like it would from an angled shot from a tree stand.

If you let it sit and didn't make a lot of noise when you got out, the deer will most likely bleed well once he stops running.

Edited by buckfever1974

My guess, from lack of blood and arrow depth, high in the shoulder above the spine..which will probably result in a live deer..at 15 yards and that high of an angle, 1 lung at best.. probably muscle wound tho.

Just my guess tho, I could very well be wrong.

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com

Edited by JerseyJaysTaxidermy