IGNORED

Hinge cutting

Made the mineral site today...

Is this all I need to do? Mix this stuff, rake the leaves away, and dump it on the dirt? If so... I'm done :)

Bucksnbows would know better than me, but you might want to be a bit further up from the edge of the lake.   

This photo is from my tail cam in late aug.. you can see how shady the woods are midday, and the lack of undergrowth.Screenshot_2017-02-05-14-21-54.png

This photo is the same view, today.

20170205_140317.jpg

Here are a few other shots from the top of the hill

20170205_140355.jpg20170205_140400.jpg20170205_140420.jpg20170205_140423.jpg

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com

Edited by JerseyJaysTaxidermy

Bucksnbows would know better than me, but you might want to be a bit further up from the edge of the lake.   

Hard to tell from the picture, but set it at least 6" above your high water mark which would be the top of your spillway.  Right now, that dam needs work and I think the pond level is several inches below the top of the dam.  Easy to move a few feet if needed.  Looks like we have Jay motivated!  I can't wait to hear how the property responds over time.  Plenty more to do, but you got a big jump on things yesterday.  

(I credit most of the work to Haskell Hunter, JHBowhunter and yours truly who did an excellent job at keeping all beer away from the chain sawyers.  Otherwise it would have been a safety issue.  Remember, we're always here for you if you ever have excess beer on hand because that's just the kind of guys we are).

I credit most of the work to Haskell Hunter, JHBowhunter and yours truly who did an excellent job at keeping all beer away from the chain sawyers.  

Everyone has their part to play and you guys rose to the occasion, job well done.   :cheers:

Jay's wife thanks you for protecting their property from the devastation that would have occurred had you not been there.   :up:  

Edited by Rusty

Looks like most  of the cuts snapped off. Did they snap off because of the temps or type of tree. 

Ive hinge cut below freezing temps and above freezing. 

I find the trees hinge much better in warmer temps. 

Either way the stumps will sprout new growth. 

What was the height of the hinge cuts. I try to hinge as high as possible in the interior so they can walk underneath then lower on the outside to block the interior of the bedding area. 

www.liftxrentals.com

Looks like most  of the cuts snapped off. Did they snap off because of the temps or type of tree. 

Ive hinge cut below freezing temps and above freezing. 

I find the trees hinge much better in warmer temps. 

Either way the stumps will sprout new growth. 

What was the height of the hinge cuts. I try to hinge as high as possible in the interior so they can walk underneath then lower on the outside to block the interior of the bedding area. 

The pictures don't show it but there are well over 100 well hinged trees.  The pictures primarily focus on the larger trees, which were dropped to open up the canopy and let sunlight in.  Much of the property was a monoculture of mature sugar maples, to big to hinge, half were girdled and left standing and half dropped.  

The hinged trees are high enough for deer to walk under.  

Hinge cutting is good and provides quick habitat.  And you have plenty of well hinged trees.

But in the long run, opening up the canopy and getting sunlight in to the ground is what really matters.

Here's the WMA behind my house, no hinge cutting, just thinning out the trees to create young forest habitat.

1. Right after logging.

2. The cut stumps sprout vigorously. 

3. In a very short time it's a thick young forest, providing food and cover where the critters need it.

SM 1.jpg

Stump Sprouts.jpg

SM 2.jpg

What, if anything, would you guys think is good to plant on that ground now that the canopy is open and can get sunlight?

Other than some dark timber trees like cedar and spruce, you just let Mother Nature and the natural seed bank that exists take care of the rest.  The oaks and maples and other trees and shrubs will sprout as soon as the spring warms now that the sun can permeate the forest floor.  First year is mostly herbaceous plants and after that, native trees and shrubs take over.  

I just finished hinging the remainder of the saplings and killed the remainder of the large ones today..

Then I talked with my neighbor on the back left hill and he can use some wood. So I'll be starting that section next, giving him some wood as I go.

20170206_155145.jpg

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com