IGNORED

Hinge cutting

Jay, this is the first time I saw your August photos.  The first things to sprout up in the opening are always the herbaceous plants (think smaller, flowering weeds).  In a year or two, they become overtaken by the native shrubs and trees and then the forest will get really thick wherever the sun can penetrate down to.  But I see mostly herbaceous plants popping up which is 100% normal.  You will see the forest floor growth/species change each year for several years until the trees and shrubs take hold.  We just need to keep an eye out for invasives like Chinese ailanthus which I don't recall seeing on your property.   

• 5 months later...

Jay, you are seeing mostly the herbaceous layer going bonkers right now which is normal.  That layer will change significantly the first few years, each year, until the regenerating trees get tall enough to start blocking some of the light to the forest floor in several years.   Looks great so far!  I'll swing by one of these days to make sure we don't have any crap like Chinese ailanthus coming in.  I had to pull some from my newest clearcut the other day and still haven't located the seed source.  When I do, I'll call in the military (Rusty) with his chainsaw.  :)