IGNORED

Hinge cutting

Buy One Hundred 15-18" Red Cedar, 4 yr old plants $1.07 each.  Start your bedding area NOW, in 5 years should be good...  Get the sun to them...

http://musserforests.com/prod.asp?p=EARD

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Jay,

Cut it and they will come, I promise.  But just to show you, here are photos of year 5 after my first five acre clear cut.  This spring is our 7th growing season and you'd get lost trying to walk through it once leaves are out.  It is a mixture today of herbaceous, shrub and tree habitat.  None of this was planted.  All of it looked more or less identical to what you have behind your house except I have far more oaks and hickories than you do.  But the seeds are in your soils just waiting for sunlight.  This first year will not be overly impressive, but in years 2 and 3 it will explode.   

In this first photo, if you look closely, you will see blackberries among other plant species.  It is loaded with blueberries, goldenrod, white pine, oaks, hickory, maples, black birch, maple leaf viburnum, etc.

blackberries.jpg

And just check out the lush growth of all three layers (herbaceous, shrub and tree, all 100% native):

Sparta clearcut 1.jpg

Sparta clearcut 3.jpg

Again, my forest floor was basically barren of any growth under my mature forested canopy.  That is, until we cut down all but about 3-5 trees per acre over a 5 acre clearcut.  I then did a 2 acre cut and then later, another 4 acre cut.  Tomorrow I start (my logger starts, that is) our 4th clearcut, but this one will be 5 acres that will be cleared for an interior forest food plot such as clover and other (TBD).  And then my logger heads through our property to cut a 15 acre clearcut on adjoining land along with a 25 acre TSI (timber stand improvement), the latter designed to bring in additional sunlight to the forest floor, but not nearly as much as the 15 acre clearcut.    

I noticed the grape vines grow to the top of some trees that I'm not dropping.. should I cut the vine and lay it on a downed tree so it grows on a ground level? Or will cutting it kill it? I tried hinging some trees it grew up, but some trees are too large I'm just going to girdle them.

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com

The grape vines will grow up or spread on the ground if they can't grow up. You can leave them alone. I know a place in NJ with wild grape vines where I can fly a dozen grouse when grapes are ripe. It's an old foundation of a home deep in the forest near other good grouse habitat. But that's about all I can talk of that spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The grape vines will grow up or spread on the ground if they can't grow up. You can leave them alone. I know a place in NJ with wild grape vines where I can fly a dozen grouse when grapes are ripe. It's an old foundation of a home deep in the forest near other good grouse habitat. But that's about all I can talk of that spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Problem is they are up in the treetops.. how do I get them down to ground level? Cut them ?

Problem is they are up in the treetops.. how do I get them down to ground level? Cut them ?

Leave them.  But you can cut them and they will likely grow copus growth which means they will sprout from the part you cut that is still rooted in the ground.  I can come take a look if it helps.   

Got this article in email today from qdma.

"5 clues you might be hinge cutting too much":

Lol, better late than never..

https://www.qdma.com/5-clues-you-might-be-hinge-cutting-too-much/

Good article.  You're fine so far, we covered all 5.    :up:

Not to sound like a broken record, but for your property, which is dominated by mature maples, opening up the canopy is much more important than hinge cutting. 

Edited by Rusty

Good article. You're fine so far, we covered all 5. :up:

Not to sound like a broken record, but for your property, which is dominated by mature maples, opening up the canopy is much more important than hinge cutting.

Article says sugar maple can bring hundreds- 1 thousand for a 12"-14" tree. .. who can I sell them to? I'll cut the tops off and pull the trunks out to sell. . I'm sure I can get them out the bottom to my nighbors driveway..

Also, most of the trees I've been cutting in the other areas have been a silver color, that has a smooth feel to the bark. But it looks lumpy (grain of bark is half inch apart )

I'll get a pic later . They hinge really well. Nor sure if it's browse deer will eat, but i think some still had a few small yellow oval leaves attached, so it should add cover through most of the season.

Article says sugar maple can bring hundreds- 1 thousand for a 12"-14" tree. .. who can I sell them to? I'll cut the tops off and pull the trunks out to sell. . I'm sure I can get them out the bottom to my nighbors driveway..

Also, most of the trees I've been cutting in the other areas have been a silver color, that has a smooth feel to the bark. But it looks lumpy (grain of bark is half inch apart )

I'll get a pic later . They hinge really well. Nor sure if it's browse deer will eat, but i think some still had a few small yellow oval leaves attached, so it should add cover through most of the season.

Two things, first, a 12"-14" sugar maple is too small in our area to sell as a saw log.  We bring to market trees 18" and larger.  Secondly, you won't get anywhere near $1,000 per tree, even if the tree is large as in 36" and the mill it is shipped to pays $1,000 for it.  Your logger who cuts, loads, and drives it to market keeps half.  Your forester gets another 15% of the total harvest, leaving you with 35% of the value of your timber.  And on a lot the size of yours, you'd be talking maybe one load of saw logs and the rest would be sold as firewood and you would currently get $10/cord for firewood logs in this northern NJ market.  Once cut, you have to wait at least 75 years until you can cut again....unless you own massive acreage and cut small areas from time to time.