IGNORED

had a odd "canine" sighting this morning

mazzgolf

I was out goose hunting on a field this morning. I don't know the exact time it was when this happened - somewhere around 8am.

I'm paying more attention to the birds flying around, when all of a sudden in the field straight ahead of me I see this jet black dog / coyote trotting across the field and enter the far woods on the other side of the field.

I know there are lots of fox in the area, and I've seen them several times. But this was a jet black canine. There's no such thing as a black fox, right? :headscratch:  Of course, thinking of recent events of people shooting dogs, the first thing that crossed my mind was "what is a dog doing here running around the field?" But there was no human walking around, no leash, and when I saw it it was in the middle of the cut corn field trotting to the far end woods, and it disappeared into the woods.

Now, there are apartments very nearby on that side of the woods (which is another reason why I thought "dog" at first). So I thought maybe someone just let the dog out and it ran onto the field. But I didn't see the "dog" come out of the woods and I'm facing the woods, so I would think I would have saw it - I only saw it running straight from the field to the woods.

I told this to a friend of mine who lives next to the fields and he said he saw a similar dark canine late last night (2am) on the same field when he was driving by. And he had something very similar on trail cam last week at 3am - when he first showed me this trail cam pic, I thought for sure "fox". Now, I'm not so sure based on what I witnessed this morning. Weird. I'm too afraid to shoot it - I still am not sure what it is! But if its a dog, someone is very careless letting this thing run free at all hours of the day and night.

canine.jpg

They can be black or dark, depending on phase and genetics. Gray foxes are gray and darker than reds, smaller and are clearly different. Tough to tell from that picture red or gray but it is definitely a fox

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

IMHO that looks like a fox.  I get them on cam all the time as well as yotes.  My bet is fox.  Could have been a gray fox that you saw.

Agree with HH. In between cleaning out Live to hunt's accounts, he has some good insight......