• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

Packing Up and Heading Out!

91 replies to this topic

#81 Male ONLINE   Woodsman416

Woodsman416

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 08/28/17 - 07:10 PM

The last two days were nothing but snow. Serious white out conditions most of the time. Three was not much accumulation in the valleys due to ground temperature. But we couldn't glass 100 yards!

Attached Images

• 104.JPG

#82 Male ONLINE   Woodsman416

Woodsman416

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 08/28/17 - 07:21 PM

We had our eye on a pregnant cow, kept checking up on her looking for bears in the area. We had seen her about two hours before and next time we check the area she had given birth.

Attached Images

• 111.JPG

• Like x 1
  • List

#83 Male ONLINE   Woodsman416

Woodsman416

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 08/28/17 - 07:24 PM

Heading home.

Attached Images

• 116.JPG

• Like x 3
  • List

#84 Male OFFLINE   Sotaroas

Sotaroas

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 08/28/17 - 07:24 PM

Awesome photos , definitely Gods Country , good luck , stay safe !

#85 Male ONLINE   Woodsman416

Woodsman416

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 08/28/17 - 07:30 PM

Storm over the pipeline.

Attached Images

• 119.JPG
  • 121.JPG

• Like x 1
  • List

#86 Male OFFLINE   Silver Belly62

Silver Belly62

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 08/28/17 - 07:34 PM

Some great pic's, really like the way those clouds are between the road and the Mtn in the "heading  home" pic.  Will you be heading out to try again sometime ?

Edited by Silver Belly62, 08/28/17 - 07:36 PM.

#87 Male OFFLINE   Live to Hunt

Live to Hunt

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 08/28/17 - 07:45 PM

Looks like you had a lot of success. Awesome trip. Don't always have to kill to be successful. Many would love to have the opportunity you had. Looks beautiful

#88 Male ONLINE   Woodsman416

Woodsman416

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 08/28/17 - 08:09 PM

Reflections

My first night in Alaska I had to overnight at a hotel in Fairbanks. It had a sports bar attached and I went there for a burger and a beer. I sat down at the bar next to a drunk eskimo. He saw my UBNJ hat and asked "you from New Jersey?" When I answered in the affirmative He gave up a thumbs up and said "ALLLLRRRRRIGHTTT!" Kinda like you would expect The Fonz to say it if The Fonz was a drunken eskimo. So we talked a little and he asked why I was there I told him I was hunting and heasked "Grizz?" I said yes and he asked what I was packing. "Packing?" "yeah, what kind of gun are you shooting? 375?" I told him I was bowhunting. He dismissed me with a wave of his hand "You F&?$in' crazy!" Priceless!

On the third day (night) I ambushed a grizz on the pipeline. I hid next to a stantion and it walked by me at 15 yards. I'll never forget watching the long ivory claws on it's front feet as it walked towards me. I knew it was small, probably a little over two hundred pounds, but it was legal and I could have ended my hunt successfully right then. Honestly, I wasn't even tempted to kill that bear.

One night we spotted a white wolf near the river just north of the town of Wiseman. I stalked down to the river. The wind was gusting right in my face. I peeked around some brush and there he was, facing away from me, looking towards the river at 12 yards. As soon as I started drawing my bow he bolted. He never even looked in my direction. It was awesome to get that close to a creature like that.

Time is different in the Arctic. First, there's the four hour time difference from home. Second, you have 24 hours of day light, so other than a couple of dusky hours you really have no sense of what time it is. Third, we usually slept from around 8:00 AM to to 1:00 or 2:00 Pm and hunted all night. That really screws with your internal clock. So, when we were coming back into Fairbanks and my phone started working again I was surprised to get a four hour old text message from the limo company telling me they had arrived at Newark airport to pick me up. I had missed my plane by 24 hours! It cost me $300 to change my flight and I caught the same flight I was supposed to be on the day before. $300 for an extra day in the Brooks Range seems like a pretty good deal to me!

Trips like this are EXPENSIVE. How expensive? I really don't know. I've done wilderness trips before and my rule is that I never add them up. It does me no good to run totals. When people I know would find out about my trip they would mostly say one of two things. 1) "How much does a trip like that cost?" Answer " A lot."  2) "You must have a lot of money!" Answer "Not anymore I don't!" There are ways to keep costs down though. When I booked this trip two years ago I got an Alaska Airlines credit card. The way I use CCs is to pay everything I can on it and never carry a balance. Every other Sunday I sit down at my computer and pay it off. I never pay interest and I never buy anything I can't afford to pay for in cash. So after two years of using my Alaska card my total cost for Airfare was $10.60 round trip. ...except that $300 dollar error that is.

Would I do this trip again? I'm already planning it!

Edited by Woodsman416, 08/28/17 - 08:11 PM.

• Like x 4
  • List

#89 Male OFFLINE   bruiserbucksoutdoors

bruiserbucksoutdoors

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 08/31/17 - 03:47 PM

Wow, what a great story! Thanks for sharing and congrats on a successful hunt, That had to be one hell of an experience. I would love to do something like that one day!

Follow Us On Instagram @bruiserbucksoutdoors

#90 Male OFFLINE   JerseyJaysTaxidermy

JerseyJaysTaxidermy

13 Pointer

• NJW&W Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 08/31/17 - 07:16 PM

Those mountains are breathtaking! Very nice trip! Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#91 Male OFFLINE   Max

Max

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 08/31/17 - 07:44 PM

Good luck! :up: 

#92 Male ONLINE   thefirstndsecond

thefirstndsecond

7 Pointer

• NJW&W Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 08/31/17 - 08:44 PM

That is pretty cool. Did you use a guide or map out this entire trip yourself?

Beautiful pictures.

Some beautiful land.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users