IGNORED

Packing Up and Heading Out!

Woodsman416

Looks like you had a lot of success. Awesome trip. Don't always have to kill to be successful. Many would love to have the opportunity you had. Looks beautiful

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

Reflections

My first night in Alaska I had to overnight at a hotel in Fairbanks. It had a sports bar attached and I went there for a burger and a beer. I sat down at the bar next to a drunk eskimo. He saw my UBNJ hat and asked "you from New Jersey?" When I answered in the affirmative He gave up a thumbs up and said "ALLLLRRRRRIGHTTT!" Kinda like you would expect The Fonz to say it if The Fonz was a drunken eskimo. So we talked a little and he asked why I was there I told him I was hunting and heasked "Grizz?" I said yes and he asked what I was packing. "Packing?" "yeah, what kind of gun are you shooting? 375?" I told him I was bowhunting. He dismissed me with a wave of his hand "You F&?$in' crazy!" Priceless!

On the third day (night) I ambushed a grizz on the pipeline. I hid next to a stantion and it walked by me at 15 yards. I'll never forget watching the long ivory claws on it's front feet as it walked towards me. I knew it was small, probably a little over two hundred pounds, but it was legal and I could have ended my hunt successfully right then. Honestly, I wasn't even tempted to kill that bear.

One night we spotted a white wolf near the river just north of the town of Wiseman. I stalked down to the river. The wind was gusting right in my face. I peeked around some brush and there he was, facing away from me, looking towards the river at 12 yards. As soon as I started drawing my bow he bolted. He never even looked in my direction. It was awesome to get that close to a creature like that.

Time is different in the Arctic. First, there's the four hour time difference from home. Second, you have 24 hours of day light, so other than a couple of dusky hours you really have no sense of what time it is. Third, we usually slept from around 8:00 AM to to 1:00 or 2:00 Pm and hunted all night. That really screws with your internal clock. So, when we were coming back into Fairbanks and my phone started working again I was surprised to get a four hour old text message from the limo company telling me they had arrived at Newark airport to pick me up. I had missed my plane by 24 hours! It cost me $300 to change my flight and I caught the same flight I was supposed to be on the day before. $300 for an extra day in the Brooks Range seems like a pretty good deal to me!

Trips like this are EXPENSIVE. How expensive? I really don't know. I've done wilderness trips before and my rule is that I never add them up. It does me no good to run totals. When people I know would find out about my trip they would mostly say one of two things. 1) "How much does a trip like that cost?" Answer " A lot."  2) "You must have a lot of money!" Answer "Not anymore I don't!" There are ways to keep costs down though. When I booked this trip two years ago I got an Alaska Airlines credit card. The way I use CCs is to pay everything I can on it and never carry a balance. Every other Sunday I sit down at my computer and pay it off. I never pay interest and I never buy anything I can't afford to pay for in cash. So after two years of using my Alaska card my total cost for Airfare was $10.60 round trip. ...except that $300 dollar error that is.

Would I do this trip again? I'm already planning it!

Edited by Woodsman416