IGNORED

2016-2017 NJ Deer kill numbers are out (big rebound from last season)

BenedictGomez

do you think the state uses deer data for the better of hunting and the herd? they don't give sh*t, they claim the herd is still high, of course it's high in areas where we can't hunt or limited to hunt, where as places that we all hunt the herd is low or stable 

For what it's worth ... the bucks that came in for mounts this year trumped the size of the bucks being mounted in the past 11 years.

99% of them were that "next step" that I'm not used to seeing.

Normally most mounts i do are for 1.5-2.5 yr old deer.. the 16/17 season brought in many more 3.5-4.5 yr old age racks.. most likely due to the acorn crop keeping them off hunters' bait piles the year before allowed these bucks to get to the next level. Now I can only hope, so many were after these older bucks on camera, that they didn't bother wasting tags on younger bucks, which in turn will cause bigger bucks once again next season! Time will tell.

Back in mid-November I talked to a taxidermist from PA, and he said much the same thing, that up to that point he had a LOT of great bucks brought in already, way better than normal and that essentially it was a good fall for taxidermy!

I don't understand why hunters in 2017 with the herd at all time low statewide feel they need to take out 10 plus deer per year, the excuses they give and we all heard of them are just out of control.

FAKE NEWS.

so if it's all about the $$$$ why doesn't the state charge for every doe ?

^ And in this post Rdfhunter destroys Fake News with some rather obvious common sense.

Edited by BenedictGomez

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

How many years of hunting do you have here in NJ?

Enough to understand what is going on but how does this have anything to do with the conversation between you and I?

There are areas in this state with plenty of deer to go around and your negative statement about other hunters is uncalled for and conceived from the experience of your tiny world applied to the entire state. Had you said" I can't understand why would anyone in my area take 10 deer" it would make more sense but then again how would someone take 10 deer where deer are hard to find. Just the fact someone takes 10 deer should lead you to conclusion he is not hunting in the area you are, where deer numbers are down, but most likely in the area where there are very good numbers.

Edited by Lunatic

How many years of hunting do you have here in NJ?

I have 64 years of hunting in New Jersey and involvement in the outdoors. I am 3rd generation of New Jersey Hunters. 

You said you have 37 years very good.  I am happy for you. 

The stories handed down from my Father and his father with well over125 years of hunting should have been put in Book Form.

The many stories and tales I have read over the years are not far apart as far as Deer hunting in Nj. Goes. 

How much Nj deer history do you know and when did you even begin to care. 

I not only have memories of their stories but Books on the subject that NJDFAG wants for their Library. 

Let us go back to the early years in NJ when There was NO Yes no deer. Habitat and Poaching were blamed poaching was never proven. New Jersey Conservation decided to Import Deer under an agreement mainly with Virgina. and Pennsylvania. Hence the saying many years ago as they were called New Jersey - Virginia White-tailed Deer. Most were planted in Northwestern Nj later The pinelands.

During those years there was NO deer Hunting. The Depression Hit Poaching took place just to feed Families. Nothing much changed till WW-2 brought about better Deer management as The Years of The CCC Camps that did land management during the depression For the younger Hunters it was formed to Give work to the Unemployed during the Depression ever see and wonder about those Rock Hedge Rows in the woods. that is a product of them. Trees were Planted some Thinned land was semi-cleared. Old forest cut.

This management was paramount it improving Habitat not only for the deer but Small game flourished ( Grouse for One )

During the mid-40s thru the 50-s, the deer herds flourished but not in all areas Farming areas saw the most. Farming methods left a lot of waste in the fields along with the Types of crops planted. so deer concentrated in those areas.   Get the Idea.

Deer- Wildlife is drawn to the Food source common sense.  Deer are displaced by Development. Deer Migrate, Deer contract diseases when overpopulation occurs. 

NJDFAG has the responsibility to manage all Wildlife and Fish in NJ. It cost Money and you pay for it. Hunters and Fisherman always Blame the for there Failures. Without looking at some of the reasons that they Failed.  Because you did not see a deer does not mean they were not there Yesterday or will be there tomorrow. Ever look up the meaning of Hunting. Just because you spent  $1000-s on the equipment and Placed Bait Piles and sprayed Doe piss on your boots does not make you a hunter entitled to see deer.

The excuses never stop. The Holier than tho about I only shoot certain deer is BS do you think that decision alone makes a big difference you pass up on a deer and down the road someone else takes it. Public versus Private deer Move - Hunters move deer    

Again deer are adaptive Grazers.  Stop all this BS of putting down someone's Method of Hunting, Or choices of what they Harvest. or the numbers. The laws control all that not you. as long as no waste is involved there is no harm. 

:offtopic:  The reason Limits were put on Bluefish was not that hey were endangered but because of the Waste seen.  

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

I have 64 years of hunting in New Jersey and involvement in the outdoors. I am 3rd generation of New Jersey Hunters. 

You said you have 37 years very good.  I am happy for you. 

The stories handed down from my Father and his father with well over125 years of hunting should have been put in Book Form.

The many stories and tales I have read over the years are not far apart as far as Deer hunting in Nj. Goes. 

How much Nj deer history do you know and when did you even begin to care. 

I not only have memories of their stories but Books on the subject that NJDFAG wants for their Library. 

Let us go back to the early years in NJ when There was NO Yes no deer. Habitat and Poaching were blamed poaching was never proven. New Jersey Conservation decided to Import Deer under an agreement mainly with Virgina. and Pennsylvania. Hence the saying many years ago as they were called New Jersey - Virginia White-tailed Deer. Most were planted in Northwestern Nj later The pinelands.

During those years there was NO deer Hunting. The Depression Hit Poaching took place just to feed Families. Nothing much changed till WW-2 brought about better Deer management as The Years of The CCC Camps that did land management during the depression For the younger Hunters it was formed to Give work to the Unemployed during the Depression ever see and wonder about those Rock Hedge Rows in the woods. that is a product of them. Trees were Planted some Thinned land was semi-cleared. Old forest cut.

This management was paramount it improving Habitat not only for the deer but Small game flourished ( Grouse for One )

During the mid-40s thru the 50-s, the deer herds flourished but not in all areas Farming areas saw the most. Farming methods left a lot of waste in the fields along with the Types of crops planted. so deer concentrated in those areas.   Get the Idea.

Deer- Wildlife is drawn to the Food source common sense.  Deer are displaced by Development. Deer Migrate, Deer contract diseases when overpopulation occurs. 

NJDFAG has the responsibility to manage all Wildlife and Fish in NJ. It cost Money and you pay for it. Hunters and Fisherman always Blame the for there Failures. Without looking at some of the reasons that they Failed.  Because you did not see a deer does not mean they were not there Yesterday or will be there tomorrow. Ever look up the meaning of Hunting. Just because you spent  $1000-s on the equipment and Placed Bait Piles and sprayed Doe piss on your boots does not make you a hunter entitled to see deer.

The excuses never stop. The Holier than tho about I only shoot certain deer is BS do you think that decision alone makes a big difference you pass up on a deer and down the road someone else takes it. Public versus Private deer Move - Hunters move deer    

Again deer are adaptive Grazers.  Stop all this BS of putting down someone's Method of Hunting, Or choices of what they Harvest. or the numbers. The laws control all that not you. as long as no waste is involved there is no harm. 

:offtopic:  The reason Limits were put on Bluefish was not that hey were endangered but because of the Waste seen.  

Great post!   Very few people (surprisingly) seem to know that there were very few deer in New Jersey for several human generations. 

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

i am glad that we had a rebound the state still allows to many deer to be taken each year. They should at least limit the amount out of state people can take each year.

If there was a problem with overall whitetail numbers, I'd certainly agree with you. 

The problem is there aren't enough hunters in New Jersey to begin with, as only about 1.5% of New Jersey residents hunt, so they allow it to hit management goals.

Edited by BenedictGomez

i am glad that we had a rebound the state still allows to many deer to be taken each year. They should at least limit the amount out of state people can take each year.

actually a paid license should be a paid license with the same rights. HOWEVER - I do think we should charge what other states do - or in that same ballpark.

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

actually a paid license should be a paid license with the same rights. HOWEVER - I do think we should charge what other states do - or in that same ballpark.

Last time I looked it was Reciprocal.  

To interpret that NJ charges what even the other state charges for Nonresident Licences. 

So if NJ wanted to Charge an absorbent amount and set limits when you go out of state you will be subject to all that. 

Last time I looked it was Reciprocal.  

To interpret that NJ charges what even the other state charges for Nonresident Licences. 

So if NJ wanted to Charge an absorbent amount and set limits when you go out of state you will be subject to all that. 

non-residential Buck tag in Illinois is $500, bear in New Brunswick +-$160

Great post!   Very few people (surprisingly) seem to know that there were very few deer in New Jersey for several human generations. 

The introduced Deer are doing just Fine

The Introduced Bear  are doing just fine 

The introduced Turkeys are doing just Fine 

Along with Coyotes Bobcats Eagles

Just because someone does not see them doesn't make them endangered.