IGNORED

2016-2017 NJ Deer kill numbers are out (big rebound from last season)

BenedictGomez

I did see more bucks than usual

I didn't see more bucks than usual, but I do agree with him that I saw more quality bucks than usual.

I think its a combination of things. One is the length of the archery seasons. This is something that has always made archery popular. Now with xbows being legal it has brang people more into the sport, that otherwise wouldn't have.

Gotta' agree with that.  I hunt with a crossbow, but I'd have no desire to hunt with a vertical bow, so I think the above does make sense.

I know of a guy who took 10 deer this past season in another state. I asked him why shoot 10 deer? He responded because the state allows us to shoot as many as we want. This is a perfect example of an irresponsible hunter

What state was that?  I've never really compared laws, but I didnt know there were other states as liberal as Jersey with the deer kill.  Was it another place overrun with whitetail, like Connecticut?

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

What state was that? I've never really compared laws, but I didnt know there were other states as liberal as Jersey with the deer kill. Was it another place overrun with whitetail, like Connecticut?

Md is pretty much unlimited.  They have unlimited during archery and then 10 doe limit for each of the various firearms seasons.  

Edited by dlist777

I could be wrong, but I think that you can use a bow or crossbow statewide during 6 day, if you meet the requirement that you have both an archery and firearms license. You would only need a zone specific bow permit, if you wanted to shoot a doe in a specific zone.

Edited by Cedars

I know of a guy who took 10 deer this past season in another state. I asked him why shoot 10 deer? He responded because the state allows us to shoot as many as we want. This is a perfect example of an irresponsible hunter

If deer management is a science of numbers- a dead deer is a dead deer. Weapon is irrelevant as long as everyone plays by the rules and reports them.

No one can agree so he shot 10 he played by the rules in Nj that is possible with all the permit Tags

Then there is Brown its down. Bait Piles.Scopes on Shotguns and Black powder. Cross Bows, Game Cameras, Sents. Compound

Bows, Add all the rest The sporting good suppliers have to gain an advantage.

Everyone has an opinion and choice.  whether you call it Hunting Or Shooting. The main objective is to Harvest as many as you chose Legally. In any Legal means. Be it a Doe Spike Trophy.

I know of some that never scored. Chose to only shoot Does. and few that are TRUE so-called Trophy hunters. 

Think I may even know some Poachers,

So who is an Irresponsible Hunter who's the Judge the jury on here sure has had some verdicts?

I Have reservations about a lot that goes on in Hunting Circles these days but it is not for me to Judge.   

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

I could be wrong, but I think that you can use a bow or crossbow statewide during 6 day, if you meet the requirement that you have both an archery and firearms license. You would only need a zone specific bow permit, if you wanted to shoot a doe in a specific zone.

That's  correct

I am sure stick bow hunters said this with the introduction of guns and compounds and now compound hunters are saying this about crossbow hunters.

It is very simple. If it is "legal" use it! Know how to use is, use it safely and ethically!!

In regards to another post saying a hunter killed 10 because the state said they could:

If people just didn't shoot because they could, were selective in what they take and how many, things in itself would be different.

In some areas of this state Just cause the state says unlimited doe and 6 bucks a year doesn't mean we as sportsman & sportswoman have to take that many!

Greed and Selfishness play a big factor in the me me me Generation. We as a brotherhood need to police ourselves, only take what we need and let the young pass a year to mature and keep passing on to the next generation. Don't just shoot the first thing that steps out. Be selective, ensure you know your target and beyond and you make a clean ethical kill regardless of the weapon you are using!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not against crossbows. I hunt with one and I am not against taking 10 deer if its legal. The numbers are numbers.

I killed 13 deer last season and not one went tow waste. I feed one family, single mother with two kids living on 40K. They love venison and the eat a lot of it. Another friend of mine has no income. He is handicapped and refuses to go on disability. He eats venison every single day,. My family and I easily consumes 3 each year. So is my mom who always gest at least one and as always few friends at work get something. I take mature deer only and I don't see any decline in deer population where I hunt. I don't care if you call me irresponsible. I take deer legally and not one ounce of it goes to waste.

I am not against crossbows. I hunt with one and I am not against taking 10 deer if its legal. The numbers are numbers.

I killed 13 deer last season and not one went tow waste. I feed one family, single mother with two kids living on 40K. They love venison and the eat a lot of it. Another friend of mine has no income. He is handicapped and refuses to go on disability. He eats venison every single day,. My family and I easily consumes 3 each year. So is my mom who always gest at least one and as always few friends at work get something. I take mature deer only and I don't see any decline in deer population where I hunt. I don't care if you call me irresponsible. I take deer legally and not one ounce of it goes to waste.

I'm not against any form, if it is legal, use it!

Also if you are taking deer as you state and they are being used as you state then I commend you for helping those that need help!

None of that is what I'm talking about above!

It's the people that shoot deer just because they can, then are making phone calls looking and hoping for someone to take it off their hands. Those are the ones I am talking about.

If you are shooting deer and having them processed and donating it to hunters helping the hungry again AWESOME!

My reference above was not towards people helping people.

I'm not against any form, if it is legal, use it!

Also if you are taking deer as you state and they are being used as you state then I commend you for helping those that need help!

None of that is what I'm talking about above!

It's the people that shoot deer just because they can, then are making phone calls looking and hoping for someone to take it off their hands. Those are the ones I am talking about.

If you are shooting deer and having them processed and donating it to hunters helping the hungry again AWESOME!

My reference above was not towards people helping people.

I understand,

and I don't understand people who take deer but they don't know what to do with it. Go target practice if you are going to let the animal go to waste.

Killing of an animal is a responsibility. It can not be just to kill it. There must be something accomplished after the kill or otherwise the entire idea of hunting makes no sense. Its a lot of work but I enjoy every single step it takes to put that animal on my dinner table.