IGNORED

2016-2017 NJ Deer kill numbers are out (big rebound from last season)

BenedictGomez

I doubt the $500 deer tastes ~18 times better than the $28 deer.  You can have your trophy IL antlers, I'll keep the $472 + god knows how much for airfare, lodging, guide service, etc!

Hey, we can agree on something. Problem for you is that I wasn't responding to your post about Illinois, I was responding to your post stating the problem with NJ's deer hunting is there aren't enough hunters in NJ. I even quoted it, so, don't know what your are talking about here.

And I stand by my assessment: that was one dumb statement. 

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

If you havent figured it out yet, hunting is pay to play.

Oh I definitely get it, I'm just saying my cheap azz aint paying!   

Seriously though, it's just a personal thing, I honestly have no desire to pay $1,500+ to perhaps maybe have a chance at putting a rack on the wall.    I'm kind of glad I'm not crazy for antlers, the same way I'm glad I'm not a "car guy", buying a new vehicle every 2 years.  I have some friends like that and my wallet sypathetically feels the pain when they buy a new truck or sports car.

I hunted once the famous Hadley Creek in Pike County Illinois. One of the guides told me 90% of the bucks killed there are killed for the antlers and they simply burry the rest.

That's horrible to hear. :(

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

I stand by my assessment: that was one dumb statement. 

You think 1.5% (at absolute most) of an entire state's population being hunters isn't low?  Really?!?!

And if you could readjust the state's data for guys who buy hunting licenses but are not specifically deer hunters, you know it's more like 1%.  Hunters are a dying breed in State of New Jersey.

Number of hunters decline drastically in New Jersey

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2016/12/number_of_hunters_continues_to_decline_in_new_jers.html

Edited by BenedictGomez

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

I hunted once the famous Hadley Creek in Pike County Illinois. One of the guides told me 90% of the bucks killed there are killed for the antlers and they simply burry the rest. I asked about feed the hungry program and he laughed at me. The only way you could take a doe was if you had a cooler to take it with you so good luck if you are flying.

In all due respect to youThe Guides SUCK SUCK Where did you find them on Craigs List. 

Alaska and in In many states Alaska for one. I will put this in Order First they would be arrested the service shutdown. All their property would be Confiscated be it Lodge Plane Boat They would be taken at their expense to Anchorage. held for a hearing. Give a Date if found guilty of Wasting Alaska resources. And that would be on the first count for every other event the Time and Fines are piled on. Life suspension lost of Licences and then all that property.   

If it was me I would have dropped a Dime on them in a NY minute.

Now as far as Bringing any Game home from Alaska as I have done dozens of times. Many Fish I would buy a 30Gal. Styrofoam Cooler

At Fred Myers and a roll of duct tape. The fish I would the flight bag and Freeze in portions the morning before I would Pack Solid the frozen bags and some layers of new paper most time the weight came to Between 60-75 Lbs For years Alaska Air -North West, Parent Continental Allowed on Flights From Alaska to check FREE 80 lbs of Game. When I got to Newark and picked up and got home everything was frozen as I put it in The Cooler. The last trip was 6 years ago. Today I have no Idea

that agreement for the free 80lb game is it was an agreement with Airlines and Alaska Tourism.

Today I ship to my brother By FedX and USP If it Fits It Ships. 

Again those Guides Suck and if Ohio allows it They suck even worse.  

Care to share their Name ?

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

I think what you are starting to see is more and more hunters laying off smaller bucks. After 2 1/2 yrs, bucks jump big time in antler size the following 2 years

I agree with you.  A lot of TV shows, social media, forums like this, etc. are causing the newer generation of hunters to focus more on shooting mature deer and to actively manage their local herds either by shooting or not shooting until the herd is in balance.  It's not 100% of the newbies, but a growing number of deer hunters are letting younger bucks walk in addition to doe management.  I used to always shoot the first legal buck I saw on opening day in either PA or NJ and these days I am far more selective, sometimes going a full year without killing a buck because I didn't see the one I wanted to shoot.  

You think 1.5% (at absolute most) of an entire state's population being hunters isn't low?  Really?!?!

And if you could readjust the state's data for guys who buy hunting licenses but are not specifically deer hunters, you know it's more like 1%.  Hunters are a dying breed in State of New Jersey.

Number of hunters decline drastically in New Jersey

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2016/12/number_of_hunters_continues_to_decline_in_new_jers.html

1% of the most densely populated state in the nation, could be more than 100% of many other states that have far more huntable land - no?

It seems like NJ ranks on the high end of hunters per square mile.  This is 2013 data but I doubt the rankings have moved much since then.  This seems to contradict Gomez's assertion that NJ needs more hunters.  

https://www.qdma.com/hunter-density-across-u-s/

Edited by dlist777

135,000 hunters seems like a lot for a place like NJ, no?

That is a lot but think of it this way There are 1650  NJ- W&W registered members Not all are Active or have the same interests,

Plus Only a few voice Opinions on many subjects On what to shoot and choices there are only a Dozen or so that have any opinion. 

Many only Fish or hunt, not a good Guage on any subject. 

I agree with you.  A lot of TV shows, social media, forums like this, etc. are causing the newer generation of hunters to focus more on shooting mature deer and to actively manage their local herds either by shooting or not shooting until the herd is in balance.  It's not 100% of the newbies, but a growing number of deer hunters are letting younger bucks walk in addition to doe management.  I used to always shoot the first legal buck I saw on opening day in either PA or NJ and these days I am far more selective, sometimes going a full year without killing a buck because I didn't see the one I wanted to shoot.  

Wishful thinking when very few on here subscribe to Trophy Hunting. Or Catch and Release It just sounds good. when in fact, The jury is out on Those BS reality Shows Faked Hyped edited dramatized Commercialized very far from Real Life.  Need I say more. ;)   And Forums like this have a Low mix on Trophy Hunters And in all my years I have never Hunted or known anyone that hunts for Antlers. Since you can not eat them.   :stirring:  

Wishful thinking when very few on here subscribe to Trophy Hunting. Or Catch and Release It just sounds good. when in fact, The jury is out on Those BS reality Shows Faked Hyped edited dramatized Commercialized very far from Real Life.  Need I say more. ;)   And Forums like this have a Low mix on Trophy Hunters And in all my years I have never Hunted or known anyone that hunts for Antlers. Since you can not eat them.   :stirring:  

It's not wishful thinking, those are my observations.  Regardless of how you feel about the various hunting shows, those along with organizations like QDMA and magazines and other online resources are having a net effect on new hunters and old hunters alike.  More are educated on letting deer grow and passing on younger bucks.  I know I'm younger than you, but I have been hunting deer in NJ for 42 years which is long enough to see trends in herd and in hunters.  When I began, we had very few deer in Zone 3 where I grew up, you did your best to take off "buck week" (6 Day), and you shot the first legal buck that came by if you saw one at all to shoot.  And you did that mostly from an elevated wood stand you built.  Or you did drives with buddies.  There was no hunting over bait and very few of your friends hunted archery, if any.  Times changed, the herd grew mightily in size, seasons grew to meet the larger herds, archery gear advanced and muzzleloader became popular and now we have nearly 6 months of deer hunting in most zones.  The numbers are well down from their peak in the late '90s, but there are still a lot more than when I first began hunting even with liberal seasons and liberal bag limits.   

1% of the most densely populated state in the nation, could be more than 100% of many other states that have far more huntable land - no?

That's why you talk percentage, not the actual number and then you compare apples to apples.

In all due respect to youThe Guides SUCK SUCK Where did you find them on Craigs List. 

Alaska and in In many states Alaska for one. I will put this in Order First they would be arrested the service shutdown. All their property would be Confiscated be it Lodge Plane Boat They would be taken at their expense to Anchorage. held for a hearing. Give a Date if found guilty of Wasting Alaska resources. And that would be on the first count for every other event the Time and Fines are piled on. Life suspension lost of Licences and then all that property.   

If it was me I would have dropped a Dime on them in a NY minute.

Now as far as Bringing any Game home from Alaska as I have done dozens of times. Many Fish I would buy a 30Gal. Styrofoam Cooler

At Fred Myers and a roll of duct tape. The fish I would the flight bag and Freeze in portions the morning before I would Pack Solid the frozen bags and some layers of new paper most time the weight came to Between 60-75 Lbs For years Alaska Air -North West, Parent Continental Allowed on Flights From Alaska to check FREE 80 lbs of Game. When I got to Newark and picked up and got home everything was frozen as I put it in The Cooler. The last trip was 6 years ago. Today I have no Idea

that agreement for the free 80lb game is it was an agreement with Airlines and Alaska Tourism.

Today I ship to my brother By FedX and USP If it Fits It Ships. 

Again those Guides Suck and if Ohio allows it They suck even worse.  

Care to share their Name ?

I didn't find them on Craigs list. They are very well known for the biggest bucks around. 135" minimum when I was there. This does not excuse what they do but that's what I was told they do by their own guide.

I gave you the name already and if you are asking for the guide name, I have no clue, this was about 5 years ago, the trip was a gift.

Take a look:

http://www.hadleycreek.com/

I think that's the normal progression for most hunter, IMO. You get more selective as time goes on.

I doubt it.

Even though we're a densely packed state, we're a very small state, so any way you slice it 1% is 1%.  It's a tiny figure!

To illustrate that point, I looked at a large state with a TON of the "far more huntable land" that I think would be exactly what you're suggesting - Texas.

Texas sold 1.2M hunting licenses last year in a population of 25M people, which is 5%.  So roughly 5x as many Texans hunt as New Jerseyans when we adjust it by percentage (works out to ~8x the number of licenses sold).