IGNORED

10/14 live hunt, Jack Shoots Longhorn!

JHbowhunter

Ok so the buck detective in my is saying " damn that deer sure looks 3.5 years old based on weight alone, but how could he exist without me having any history of that rack prior?"  Then a certain familiarity hit me... And my first "search" into the past takes me back to the most common and regular buck I had all last season. There were so few deer around last year, but he was old reliable I would see him most hunts and a regular on camera - the lone ranger. This 6 point from last season (pictured, under my boots from a September hunt) has slightly smaller but identical beams.  I bet his leg injury caused his antler oddity.    That 6pt last year had too big a body for a 1.5 year old, I estimated he was 2.5 last year.  What say you?

IMG_2437.JPG

IMG_2439.JPG

IMG_2440.JPG

IMG_2445.JPG

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

I think this confirms it. Not only does the top view of beams from 2015 6pt, to this year's 4pt match up with the same unevenness and curvature, looking at a late season 2015 picture of the 6pt shows he is standing same way as he was this year, unable to bear weight on left front leg... So even with that injury, he survived the mild winter, but again as we all know - the leg injury causes abnormal rack development. I know that a rear leg injury causes opposite side antler to deform, but in this case a front leg injury didn't affect symmetry much but it sure prohibited normal antler growth

MFDC0282.JPG

STC_0037.JPG

STC_0289.JPG

STC_0193.JPG

STC_0285.JPG

I shot a big 10pt once….

What hha sight is that and what size pin are you using?

HHA OL-3019 http://www.cabelas.com/product/HHA-Bow-Sight-OL/1205160.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dhha%2B3019%26CQ_st%3Db

They do make more expensive models, but reviews were great on this one. I really like it, incredible glow, and very easy to set up if you follow their instructions. I may never use the "slide" on live game, but it's cool knowing I have that option and it is quite accurate out to 60 yards. If I had a calm relaxed 40 yard shot, then maybe I would make the adjustment on the fly. 40 has always been my limit with previous 3 pin sights, and the two times I did it, it worked out well.

I shot a big 10pt once….

HHA OL-3019 http://www.cabelas.com/product/HHA-Bow-Sight-OL/1205160.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dhha%2B3019%26CQ_st%3Db

They do make more expensive models, but reviews were great on this one. I really like it, incredible glow, and very easy to set up if you follow their instructions. I may never use the "slide" on live game, but it's cool knowing I have that option and it is quite accurate out to 60 yards. If I had a calm relaxed 40 yard shot, then maybe I would make the adjustment on the fly. 40 has always been my limit with previous 3 pin sights, and the two times I did it, it worked out well.

Thanks man, appreciate the feedback. Yea,  HHA sure has a ton of different options in different price ranges.

I have the Trophy Ridge React Pro 5 pin. I love it but have been thinking of switching to a single pin, or a different multi pin. I got it with the .010 pins because looking at a target 40 yards down range or more, the difference between the .010 and .019 is huge. The .019 covers up so much of the target compared to the smaller one. I was using this for 3D when I was commonly shooting 40 yards +, where as in the woods hunting its generally more like 15-30. Im wondering if Im missing out on not picking up enough light with the .010 pins. I pulled back the other day when it was almost dark just to check, and I couldnt see too well...come to find out it was because there was a problem with my peep. No biggie, fixed now. So, the next time out Ill have a better gauge for my decision. If the pins stay pretty bright and can see well during last legal light, I will stick with my sight. If not, I may give an HHA a shot or even a Sword.

I had a Tru Glo Rival Hunter previously. Now, the quality isnt up there with my current sight but it had the feature I really liked. That was fully customizable pins where you can not with the trophy ridge. The truglo had ddp which gave you a .029 at the top, the next two were .019 and the last two were .010. No frills, nothing too fancy, but an all around good sight.