IGNORED

How close is too close

DRBetz

I went out to do a little more scouting in zone 50 yesterday and ran into a few stands, which was not all the surprising seeing as space is limited in the area.  I am just curious how close everyone thinks is too close to set up to another.  I have no intention of plopping down 10 yards from another stand, or even 100 yards, but what would you think your cut off is. Its pretty thick so visibility is only about 30 yards in most places definitely under 50 virtually everywhere.  My plan is to posted up where I shot my deer last year because it still looks good, but I was hoping to place a second stand in the area if I could find something else that looks promising.  There are over a dozen stands setup in the area, but I only ever encountered other hunters on two occasions of hunting 3 weekday mornings a week, so I wonder how many stands are just holding space.

Also how do you treat abandoned looking stands?  I saw one stand I am sure someone is currently using this season that was blazed with garbage tied around trees, and a fresh upside down jug of deer minerals planted on a stick not too far off, but I encountered about stand which looked unused. By unused I mean the fabric seat was rotted out, the screw in spikes which are not allowed on the park land end about 7 feet up and any lower holes have been sealed by the tree, and the tree is growing around the chain, frame of the stand. I don't want to hunt from the stand, but would you think it is safe to assume it has been abandoned and that area is open for me to set up in?

You're going to get a whole bunch of different answers on this, all over the map.

IMHO, state land is first-come, first-serve.  Whomever gets there earliest the day of the hunt claims the spot.  There are differing opinions on this, but IMHO, that's fair in my mind.  It's also what I experience on state land when I hunt it.

Alternatively, if you do run into someone on the day of your hunt, it's a quick conversation to work it out.  If the other person wants to be a dick about it, just refer to their stand as "Dick's Stand" and avoid them.

That's just my opinion.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

My buddy and I used to hunt 60 yds apart in fairly open woods edge.  First come first serve but not always. I was in my tree 2 hours before daylight and when someone came in I flashed my light only to have him turn around and cut me off  60 yds  where the deer come from.  I hear him shoot , I waited till my leaving time and starting to rain. I found his arrow and he gut shot the animal and never found his arrow.  Out at the lot no cars. 1 dead non recovered doe. Some people.  But in my book1 00 yds is plenty in the early season.  As long as you stay quiet he'll never know anyone is around.

Edited by jerseyhunter

I hunt 80 acres with 2 other guys..one of which is literally 100 yards south of my stand..

i dont mind because he has no clue that the deer have to pass me before they get to him :rofl:

hahaha!! exactly. I personally don't like hunting anywhere near people. I get in my stand super early and leave late and nothing pis*** me off more than some lazy guy coming into his stand a 5pm or 7am. yeah, its his right to but come on.

I have a whole swamp..on our property..probably 25 or 30 acres all to myself...i only hunt a very small portion, and leave the rest untouched for the last seven years.

Great bedding area not walked on in a number of years.

My club members are very respectful of each others spots....we never step onto another guys spot without permission.

NRA Life Member
"From My Cold Dead Hands"                          I'm all for Gun Control...I use both Hands.

Where I grew up hunting at a club near WIlkes Barre we always had a map out before the season started and we went by a lottery and everyone marked they spot with a pin so everyone would know where people were at.  I don't remember there ever being a problem with people wanting to be in the same spot and fighting over it.  I'll probably put up two stands and worst case use one as a fall back plan.  Until firearms season I think either of the places I am looking at are plenty far from any of the other stands I have seen, and even then I only remember hearing one shot all last year while I was on stand. 

I have looked into a climber, but where I am hunting it is so thick on the ground that I would not be able to get in and out with my bow and stand without stirring up the woods and making a racket. In the future I am going to invest in one since this season will be my last one I will be hunting in this particular area. 

If I see or know of anyone hunting a piece of property I'm interested in or hunting I usally don't hunt it. There is absolutely no comparison hunting un pressured deer. I lease close to 500 acres in mid west and I'm the only one hunting it bow season. 2 people would be too much for this property.

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈