IGNORED

Wet Weather and the Muzzleloader

Northcountryman

20 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

Hey Guys; so how much does rainy weather impact the Muzzleloaders ability to fire anyway? I use a finger guard over the top as a condom, but is that 100% or will some leakage/absorption occur anyway and ruin my white hots? 

It’s hard to get the load wet if you put a finger cot over the barrel that’s fine. Remember the bass of your sabot also seals and protects your powder. But be careful with the primer wet fingers will ruin them it happened to me

Edited by smittty

I use a ziplock bag corner taped over the end of the barrel. Works great. Have yet to have an issue. But remember to remove it from end of barrel if you even think you got moisture in the barrel before you put it on. That moisture could create rust. But as for powder, all good with keeping barrel covered. 

Just for reference, I shoot a TC Encore (break action). 

Edited by Ron

I am the Lorax - I speak for the trees. 

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/117/3460/=f6b3yx

I use a cva optima and put a Buna o ring in the breech plug.  I use blackhorn 209 powder.  Usually last 30-40 shots.  Not only does it seal out moisture, but eliminates any primer blowby and gets all of the primer into the powder column.  Since doing this I have never had a hang fire in close to 15 years.  Also at least with mine you must clean the entire breech plug.  It's not sufficient to be able to see through the flash hole.  I use appropriate sized drill bit and by hand remove any buildup from the powder side of the drill bit.

Edited by tankgijohn72

13 hours ago, Ron said:

I use a ziplock bag corner taped over the end of the barrel. Works great. Have yet to have an issue. But remember to remove it from end of barrel if you even think you got moisture in the barrel before you put it on. That moisture could create rust. But as for powder, all good with keeping barrel covered. 

Just for reference, I shoot a TC Encore (break action). 

get the small barrel condoms !!!!!!!!!!  so much better...