IGNORED

Muzzleloader Accessories- Whats the best system?

Northcountryman

1 minute ago, smittty said:

Switch to blackhorn 209 and find the correct sabot for the the bore. Then you’ll never have to worry about that again. But like I said a second and third shot is rare but anything is possible. But them two things will fix the problems you spoke of

BH 209 is easier said than done. I won the gun in October and picked it up from Cheyenne two weeks later. I was limited to what they had on the shelf. They were out of BH 209 and was handed 777 pellets to start. I was limited in time too and wasn't able to experiment. The XTP's touched but were impossible to load after 2 shots. 

I am going to try loose fffg T7 based upon many people saying it leaves a lesser crud ring and doesn't need as much as the pellets for the same velocity and the velocity is interchangeable with BH 209.  I will also be picking up BH 209  when I can find it.  The bullets I plan on testing are the XTP .451/.452 with black harvester sabots, the Hornady Boredriver and the Barnes expander.

Elite Pure, CBE Tek Hybrid, 10" B-Stinger stabilizer, Limbdriver rest , Alpine Soft Loc 5 Quiver, Muzzy 100 4 bld, Slick Trick Viper Trick Red Head Gator broadheads, Beman ICS Hunter 400 28" ,Scott Quick Shot release, Vortex 8.5X50 Vultures  :cheers:

2 minutes ago, Farmingdales Finest said:

BH 209 is easier said than done. I won the gun in October and picked it up from Cheyenne two weeks later. I was limited to what they had on the shelf. They were out of BH 209 and was handed 777 pellets to start. I was limited in time too and wasn't able to experiment. The XTP's touched but were impossible to load after 2 shots. 

I am going to try loose fffg T7 based upon many people saying it leaves a lesser crud ring and doesn't need as much as the pellets for the same velocity and the velocity is interchangeable with BH 209.  I will also be picking up BH 209  when I can find it.  The bullets I plan on testing are the XTP .451/.452 with black harvester sabots, the Hornady Boredriver and the Barnes expander.

People talk about not needing follow up shots but then talk about the merits of BH209 at the same time. If you don't need follow up shots, then why do you need BH209? LOL. Oh, it's better at the range. :hmmmer:

Switch to HARVESTER Crush Rib sabots and you will see a difference in ease of reloading. Make sure you use the correct one. 

40 minutes ago, Farmingdales Finest said:

Two questions, first I assume you are using BH 209 based upon the fact you said you were able to shoot 20 shots without even swabbing?  Second is have you shot anything with them? I ask because with what I have read and seen on video's while figuring out what I needed for my Muzzy that I won in October was that these are designed for longer distance shooting and many people have said there was little to no expansion.

Shot two deer with it. 80 yards and 49 yards. In both cases deer didn’t make it outside of 40 yards. 
no exit lungs deflected and not much left of  it. Yes BH 209 and 45 cal 

Edited by Lunatic

Just now, Farmingdales Finest said:

Save your money just pick up the Blackhorn forget the other powders.and get the light blue crushed ribbed sabots.  I’ll give you some to try if you want seeing your gun is a 45 I would recommend the Barnes 195gr expanders

19 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

Probably, but you never know !!

In 40 years of muzzy hunting I have made 2 back up shots and both connected. Total luck deer never moved and both times I  was behind large tree.  I carry one speed loader in the same pocket of my fanny back.  The nice thing about muzzy it makes you learn to pick your shot.    

Just now, smittty said:

Save your money just pick up the Blackhorn forget the other powders.and get the light blue crushed ribbed sabots.  I’ll give you some to try if you want seeing your gun is a 45 I would recommend the Barnes 195gr expanders

Where can I find it?  It's not available where I have asked and the only place I found it was Scheels who will not ship to NJ.

Elite Pure, CBE Tek Hybrid, 10" B-Stinger stabilizer, Limbdriver rest , Alpine Soft Loc 5 Quiver, Muzzy 100 4 bld, Slick Trick Viper Trick Red Head Gator broadheads, Beman ICS Hunter 400 28" ,Scott Quick Shot release, Vortex 8.5X50 Vultures  :cheers:

42 minutes ago, Farmingdales Finest said:

Two questions, first I assume you are using BH 209 based upon the fact you said you were able to shoot 20 shots without even swabbing?  Second is have you shot anything with them? I ask because with what I have read and seen on video's while figuring out what I needed for my Muzzy that I won in October was that these are designed for longer distance shooting and many people have said there was little to no expansion.

Every deer I shot with Powerbelts dropped where it stood. It's a Ford, Chevy, Dodge discussion like most topics. I have no reason to try anything else until maybe when I run out of what I have

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

40 minutes ago, Farmingdales Finest said:

Where can I find it?  It's not available where I have asked and the only place I found it was Scheels who will not ship to NJ.

I was at cabalas a few weeks ago they had all you wanted also try chyanne mountain. it’s out there when you find it stock up. If you’re just hunting and throwing a few rounds down range here and there a jug goes a long ways. Don’t let the price scare you. Anytime I find a deal on it which is rare these days I buy what a can. But that with the light blue crushed ribbed sabots will solve all your problems. Just make sure you get the light blue crushed ribbed sabots and not the light blue high pressure ons they look a like. I buy them from midway. Also may you can get some guys from here to order a gallon or so of Blackhorn to help with the hazmat and shipping 

4 minutes ago, smittty said:

I was at cabalas a few weeks ago they had all you wanted also try chyanne mountain. it’s out there when you find it stock up. If you’re just hunting and throwing a few rounds down range here and there a jug goes a long ways. Don’t let the price scare you. Anytime I find a deal on it which is rare these days I buy what a can. But that with the light blue crushed ribbed sabots will solve all your problems. Just make sure you get the light blue crushed ribbed sabots and not the light blue high pressure ons they look a like. I buy them from midway. Also may you can get some guys from here to order a gallon or so of Blackhorn to help with the hazmat and shipping 

Cheyenne didn't have it when I picked up my rifle and I have called again before the opener and they said they didn't expect anymore this year.  None of the online places that I am aware of have the BH 209 in stock and am figuring in the Hazmat fee as part of the cost. I was actually surprised it was allowed to be shipped because Cheyenne took my DL license down when I got the 777 pellets. When I asked about it they said it was a NJ law.  Clearly against the 2A but this is the Republic of NJ and Murphy's communist state.

5 minutes ago, Farmingdales Finest said:

Cheyenne didn't have it when I picked up my rifle and I have called again before the opener and they said they didn't expect anymore this year.  None of the online places that I am aware of have the BH 209 in stock and am figuring in the Hazmat fee as part of the cost. I was actually surprised it was allowed to be shipped because Cheyenne took my DL license down when I got the 777 pellets. When I asked about it they said it was a NJ law.  Clearly against the 2A but this is the Republic of NJ and Murphy's communist state.

Cabalas had pallets of it three weeks ago give them a call three hour ride there and back just buy two and it’s worth the trip