IGNORED

Bear Hunting

jumpthestring

My bear this year was 245 live weight. I called a buddy’s son with his young (28) back, tagged and field dressed it, then walked to my truck and drove it on a logging road to about 45 yards away. Buddy shows and we pulled it in my JetSled to the truck and we simply lifted it in while still in the JetSled. 

Yes, much different when they are twice that size and you MUST have a plan in case you shoot a giant. We have a mini excavator, a 4x4 backhoe and 7 quads on the property, so we have plans for any size bear. 

Not only getting it out of the woods,  but take into account the price of butchering, and taxidermist bill, many overlook these two factors, and some don't like the taste of it.

I shot 3 here in NJ, I always will be open to take another but it's a spur of the moment decision

2 hours ago, Mixbaghunter said:

This is the problem the state does not see after a few year most will not want to shoot one. I have shoot 2 both small so was easy to get out and butchered  myself.  But would not take a big one. I have rug no interest in another. 

This is part of the problem that was introduced this year due to the antis. Some people don't want to (or can't) shoot a large one, but! Now we can't shoot small ones either. Guys are now wondering, "Is this legal to shoot?" and might possibly pass up a 100# bear because they just aren't sure what size bear they are looking at from a distance.

It's a management hunt - we should be allowed to take whatever size bear we can. Unfortunately, the antis again have too much sway over wildlife management policy because they have convinced themselves and pushed this false narrative it's a "trophy" hunt when it obviously isn't.  The mental gymnastics they perform is astonishing - they cry that it is nothing more than a "trophy" hunt, but yet cry that people were killing small bears... so which is it? They can't make up their mind.

36 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

This is part of the problem that was introduced this year due to the antis. Some people don't want to (or can't) shoot a large one, but! Now we can't shoot small ones either. Guys are now wondering, "Is this legal to shoot?" and might possibly pass up a 100# bear because they just aren't sure what size bear they are looking at from a distance.

It's a management hunt - we should be allowed to take whatever size bear we can. Unfortunately, the antis again have too much sway over wildlife management policy because they have convinced themselves and pushed this false narrative it's a "trophy" hunt when it obviously isn't.  The mental gymnastics they perform is astonishing - they cry that it is nothing more than a "trophy" hunt, but yet cry that people were killing small bears... so which is it? They can't make up their mind.

This would be my situation next year. I want to bear hunt, but only have access to state land for bear.  I don’t want to be in deep and have a huge bear. But will second guess myself at a smaller size bear and probably not pull the trigger. I found a couple dumped ones by the state the other day. Neither were large but standing next to them I feel they both were easily over 100lbs. However at a distance I would question their size. 

16 minutes ago, Otter said:

Why would the state dump bears ?  

I had an earlier post asking this and a few people confirmed road kill bears. My assumption is it’s the cheapest option.  This particular area is on a wma at a crossroad and has a few bears dumped. And quite  few piles of skin and bones of bears.