IGNORED

Saddle Hunting

Turkeyslayer

I've been saddle hunting for some time now. Watched Tethrd grow up from a couple of dudes making their own saddles, to their garage taking orders here and there, into a real company. I'm also old school and don't use a platform. To me it defeats the point. The biggest advantage I see is being able to shoot 360. I tend to agree with Vdep, if you use a platform it can be a lot of movement shooting weak side. But I use a ring of steps (either an actual ring, but usually always Cranford screw ins). With a ring, moving anywhere is super easy, fast, and smooth. You get to use the tree as concealment as well. I have an old modified Trophyline with suspenders. I've never experienced hip pinch and I'm a fat guy, so that's obviously a thing these new sleek saddles have. Otherwise it's comfortable. It does take some getting used to trusting your gear. And also learning heights and lengths of your ropes for trees. 

I've only shot a compound out of the saddle. I'm sure you could shoot a crossbow out of one, but to me is seems a little tight, but do able. 

I am like you, my toolbox has everything in it. Climbers, presets, mobile hang ons for running and gunning, and my saddle gear. Honestly I use my ultra light weight hang on the most these days. I just find it the fastest and easiest for my style. 

6 minutes ago, Jcol6268 said:

I've been saddle hunting for some time now. Watched Tethrd grow up from a couple of dudes making their own saddles, to their garage taking orders here and there, into a real company. I'm also old school and don't use a platform. To me it defeats the point. The biggest advantage I see is being able to shoot 360. I tend to agree with Vdep, if you use a platform it can be a lot of movement shooting weak side. But I use a ring of steps (either an actual ring, but usually always Cranford screw ins). With a ring, moving anywhere is super easy, fast, and smooth. You get to use the tree as concealment as well. I have an old modified Trophyline with suspenders. I've never experienced hip pinch and I'm a fat guy, so that's obviously a thing these new sleek saddles have. Otherwise it's comfortable. It does take some getting used to trusting your gear. And also learning heights and lengths of your ropes for trees. 

I've only shot a compound out of the saddle. I'm sure you could shoot a crossbow out of one, but to me is seems a little tight, but do able. 

I am like you, my toolbox has everything in it. Climbers, presets, mobile hang ons for running and gunning, and my saddle gear. Honestly I use my ultra light weight hang on the most these days. I just find it the fastest and easiest for my style. 

I was getting away from climber until my mobile set was stolen off my porch.  I'm still debating wich stand but thinking xop retrograde and helium sticks as they don't make the x stand I had ant longer.   U can get in any tree you can with a climber and thise u can't so I'm where I want to be not where the right tree is

1 minute ago, vdep217 said:

I was getting away from climber until my mobile set was stolen off my porch.  I'm still debating wich stand but thinking xop retrograde and helium sticks as they don't make the x stand I had ant longer.   U can get in any tree you can with a climber and thise u can't so I'm where I want to be not where the right tree is

i have the xop as my mobile great light treestand

For me the learning curve was minimal, and most shot angles are no problem (I’m using compound). I’ll usually pick and choose trees knowing my weak spots aren’t likely to be needed. I can’t comment on xbow, don’t know the first thing about’em

I also think one of the most undervalued parts of saddle hunting is how comfortable it is. I’m hunting all public, for mobile setups it’s the way to go. And I love the suspenders idea

Edited by ModernOutdoorsMan

49 minutes ago, Jcol6268 said:

What ring-of-steps do you like?

45 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

I like the Coldwar better. Probably going to be my next stand. The retrograde is just a tad too small. I mean I hunt in a super small stand now, I want that ultra light, but just a touch bigger as I'm a big guy. 

28 minutes ago, Bonefreak said:

Haven’t tried it…and it may have some applications in certain settings…but it also may seem to be a new fad for guys who want to over complicate things 

I don’t think it’s as much for over complicating it’s more for mobile like some of my walk in are 2 miles and it’s much lighter way of hunting

1 hour ago, vdep217 said:

Take a look at the chippewa stands I have the quest it’s by far my favorite 

I just recently started using a saddle and I like it for the most part. Yes my climber is more comfortable but it’s heavy and I was tired of getting picked out by deer so I opted for the saddle to be able to hide behind the tree. Mobile setups aren’t much lighter and take time setting up. I adopted the “one stick method” with a platform in conjunction. I can get over 20 feet in 3 moves and it takes a few minutes. Best part is rappelling out of the tree. It’s gotta be the safest/funnest way to get down and it takes less than a minute to remove platform the stick and hit the ground.