IGNORED

Bears got my doe

FDhunt1213

Went out last night to a spot where I have a ton of does coming in to try and get another one in the freezer for my dog. Ended up taking a big doe around 6:30 double lung shot nicked the top of the heart. She made it across the 50 yard field and I heard her crash in the woods on the other side. I waited about 20 min got down and picked up the blood trail right away. When I got to the wood line I shined my light around looking for the body and was greeted with bear eyes all around it was a sow about 250 pounds and 4 cubs ( each cub being close to 100 pounds). I didn’t see the doe so I proceeded into the woods making a good amount of noise to hopefully move the bears along but they weren’t having it. I trailed for another 30 yards or so when the blood got to some real thick shit and I could hear the bears in there and I decided to back out and wait for a buddy of mine so I had an extra pair of eyes with me. We picked the blood trail back up and I crawled through the swamp on the blood trail which was spraying everywhere. We made lots of noise and kept listening closely when I got out of the thick stuff into some cattails we noticed the blood was high on the reeds now and not on the ground it was apparent she was being carried. Ended up finding  her another 80 yards in and the bears had left but not after ripping open her rip cage and eating the stomach and they had starting burying her and covering it. Didn’t lose much meat besides some ribs got her cleaned up and hosed out right away. Not my first run in with a bear while tracking but it was my first time with it being that thick and close quarters. Didn’t get any pictures afterwards cuz I was pretty pissed that a double lung still took 2 hours to recover… but my tactacam caught the shot on video.

32 minutes ago, FDhunt1213 said:

Went out last night to a spot where I have a ton of does coming in to try and get another one in the freezer for my dog. Ended up taking a big doe around 6:30 double lung shot nicked the top of the heart. She made it across the 50 yard field and I heard her crash in the woods on the other side. I waited about 20 min got down and picked up the blood trail right away. When I got to the wood line I shined my light around looking for the body and was greeted with bear eyes all around it was a sow about 250 pounds and 4 cubs ( each cub being close to 100 pounds). I didn’t see the doe so I proceeded into the woods making a good amount of noise to hopefully move the bears along but they weren’t having it. I trailed for another 30 yards or so when the blood got to some real thick shit and I could hear the bears in there and I decided to back out and wait for a buddy of mine so I had an extra pair of eyes with me. We picked the blood trail back up and I crawled through the swamp on the blood trail which was spraying everywhere. We made lots of noise and kept listening closely when I got out of the thick stuff into some cattails we noticed the blood was high on the reeds now and not on the ground it was apparent she was being carried. Ended up finding  her another 80 yards in and the bears had left but not after ripping open her rip cage and eating the stomach and they had starting burying her and covering it. Didn’t lose much meat besides some ribs got her cleaned up and hosed out right away. Not my first run in with a bear while tracking but it was my first time with it being that thick and close quarters. Didn’t get any pictures afterwards cuz I was pretty pissed that a double lung still took 2 hours to recover… but my tactacam caught the shot on video.

Wow, that's crazy! Good to hear things worked out and that situation didn't turn sideways with five bears wanting your deer as much as you did. :up:

Happens a lot in bear country . But with that good shot they must have been right there when that deer dropped.   

Years ago I shot a doe at last light . Buddy and I got on trail but could hear heavy foot steps not to far off . Found her and gutted her while shouting to keep the bear at bay . Figured it would get on the gut pile and leave us alone .  Nope , kept following us and getting bolder by the minute . We said screw it and left the doe to go get a quad to get her out . Came back she was gone .  That was the most aggressive encounter I’ve had with a bear here in NJ . 

1 minute ago, Russ 11 said:

Happens a lot in bear country . But with that good shot they must have been right there when that deer dropped.   

Years ago I shot a doe at last light . Buddy and I got on trail but could hear heavy foot steps not to far off . Found her and gutted her while shouting to keep the bear at bay . Figured it would get on the gut pile and leave us alone .  Nope , kept following us and getting bolder by the minute . We said screw it and left the doe to go get a quad to get her out . Came back she was gone .  That was the most aggressive encounter I’ve had with a bear here in NJ . 

Turns out right off the property line (about 50 yards from where she went in the woods ) there was a bear bait in a 55 gallon drum. So I’m guessing they were right there when she went crashing into the woods! Real bad timing