IGNORED

New crabbing machine !!!! LOL

Msgdan

Not that I will ever give up kayak fishing or kayak crabbing, but there are just too many times that I wanted to just take the car and take the grandkids either crabbing or fishing for stripers on perfect days in the back bays or rivers on perfect weather condition days.

Well here is my solution !!!   A Saturn 13 foot inflatable raft !!!  I took it out on Monday morning for it's maiden voyage and could not have been more pleased !!!  I went with a friend for the first trip for a little set up help,  but after a couple more trips, I think I will be enjoying it even more.  Believe it or not, this raft is rated for up to a 25 HP outboard motor,  but I think I am going to go with a small 4 HP 4 stroke air cooled outboard, just for the convenience of the light weight.   I was thinking about going the electric motor route,  but was turned off by the weight of the batteries and other issues.

I picked up a compressor for around $80 that is made for inflatable rafts and it takes about 15 to 20 minutes to fully inflate all 5 intakes.  It suggests that I inflate each one to 50 % before filling it all the way and the compressor has a digital gauge with an automatic shut off when it hits the set PSI.    The compressor also deflates the raft in about 10-15 minutes....it actually take more time to put the hose on and off the connectors than the actual time to inflate and deflate.

It weighs around 120 pounds and the first time I packed it in my car and set it up at the ramp,  but I think I am going to try to keep it inflated and strap it on top of my car to save some time getting on and off the water.  

The first trip was a huge success with almost 60 crabs caught and I could not get over the stability of this raft....with 2 of us leaning over the same side crabbing,  it never tilted towards the side we were on !!  The floor inflates to 10 PSI and it was as solid as could be !!!   For $1300,  I think I will be getting plenty of use out of this "redneck yacht" !!!!  LOL

raft 1.jpg

raft 3.jpg

raft 2.jpg

4 hours ago, the truth said:

I’ve always wondered how durable inflatable boats are. How much would it take to pop one?

I bought a small one years ago to get to a small island to waterfowl hunt. It worked great until I dropped it from above my head while out there and punctured it. Needed someone with a small boat to rescue me. LOL

Edited by archer36

3 hours ago, the truth said:

I’ve always wondered how durable inflatable boats are. How much would it take to pop one?

Again,  this was my first time out on it,  but I would say that it would take a lot to puncture it !!  The floor is as hard as a wooden floor and the sides, you can't push down on it all.  Reviews have people showing dragging all along rocky shore line without issues at all.

And with the 5 separate air filled chambers, I am "pretty sure" it will stay sea worthy if one of them gets punctured.

With that being said....I will always have a roll of Flex Tape with me !!!! LOL

Danny V