IGNORED

3D shoots and confidence

BCsaw

Going to many traditional 3d shoots in the past was the worst thing that I ever did.A lot of fun at first but as time went on it became harder and harder to concentrate. I HATED when other shooters would walk up behind me and breath down my neck watching me shoot. The steel targets where a blast! That's just me,I gave up shoots a long time ago.

Edited by toxo

9 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

There's lot of "higher stress" shots at 3D. 

The "iron deer" where only the heart section is foam and the rest is steel plate.  EVERYONE knows if you miss! :rofl:

Lots of "between trees" shots too to add to the stress of a shot and threading the needle.

Guys have no problem shooting those shots and calling for a tracking dog on live deer.

of more guys practiced them with the added stress they would either be able to make the shot with a higher degree of accuracy 

or learn they better pass those shots in real life 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

3 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Guys have no problem shooting those shots and calling for a tracking dog on live deer.

of more guys practiced them with the added stress they would either be able to make the shot with a higher degree of accuracy 

or learn they better pass those shots in real life 

I like the option of tracking dogs, but it certainly shouldn't be used as a crutch to lower the threshold for a shot on a live animal.  I also think hunters often skip the skill of tracking an animal they shot and go right to calling in a dog out of either convenience or said lack of tracking skill.  

3D shoots or most any type of competitive atmosphere only aids in shooting in hunting situations.  Knowing how you shoot under stress, really knowing your bow(s) and what it takes to execute a kill shot, and learning your limitations are all pluses in the the real world.  As for the dogs, an unbelievable useful tool in situations when needed but should not be the norm, many are loosing actual hunting skills due to convenience. 

58 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

I like the option of tracking dogs, but it certainly shouldn't be used as a crutch to lower the threshold for a shot on a live animal.  I also think hunters often skip the skill of tracking an animal they shot and go right to calling in a dog out of either convenience or said lack of tracking skill.  

Yeah but there’s also the flip side. If you know you’re gunna have a hard time tracking the deer, back out, so you don’t contaminate the area for the dog and lessen its likelihood of finding the deer. I think tracking dogs are great and we put too much hate on those who use them. I’ve been on a few tracks so far and haven’t needed it. But if I know I have a marginal shot and I MAY have a tough time tracking, I’ll back out and do what is best for the recovery of the animal. I think we owe that to the animal. 

34 minutes ago, Jcol6268 said:

Yeah but there’s also the flip side. If you know you’re gunna have a hard time tracking the deer, back out, so you don’t contaminate the area for the dog and lessen its likelihood of finding the deer. I think tracking dogs are great and we put too much hate on those who use them. I’ve been on a few tracks so far and haven’t needed it. But if I know I have a marginal shot and I MAY have a tough time tracking, I’ll back out and do what is best for the recovery of the animal. I think we owe that to the animal. 

I get it, when bad shots happen.  Hopefully bad shots aren't happening because guys know a tracking dog is just a phone call away.  Always do what's best in giving the animal a quick clean kill first and foremost.  Calling a dog should be a rarity IMHO.

When I was younger me and dad shot a lot of competitive archery. Plenty of 3d shoots. We shot bare bow bow hunter class . Shot fingers and no sites. We did Square circle sportsman,obissquasoit bowmen, glassbowmen, buckshorn courses. Had a lot of fun.  I still shoot square circles sportsmans 3d shoot every now and then. Now I shoot with traditional gear. I enjoy it much more. 

43 minutes ago, Jcol6268 said:

I don’t think it’s hate . Everyone would rather every tool was used to recover a deer .

but when you actually talk to these guys , the amount of calls each guy gets yearly is staggering .

means too many guys aren’t doing what it takes to make clean ETHICAL kills .

‘yes bad shit happens , but it shouldn’t be the norm .

we have many great tools when used correctly should increase ethical shots .

‘instead many guys push  the envelope .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

46 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

I don’t think it’s hate . Everyone would rather every tool was used to recover a deer .

but when you actually talk to these guys , the amount of calls each guy gets yearly is staggering .

means too many guys aren’t doing what it takes to make clean ETHICAL kills .

‘yes bad shit happens , but it shouldn’t be the norm .

we have many great tools when used correctly should increase ethical shots .

‘instead many guys push  the envelope .

I’m not saying you or anyone here is hating on the use of the dog, however I see and hear some things that I wouldn’t classify as anything other than hate. Not just in NJ, around the country. I mean look at how many people make what they believe is a bad shot. They want to do the best they can, and they know a dog is better than them. They back out, and let the dog do it’s thing. 

They track the deer, and that deer didn’t run 100 yards. Now some may say, that guy didn’t even try, gave up, and put zero effort into recovering that deer, all because they know the dog is a phone call away. Now I look at it a different way. The hunter knew that they may have no blood, no arrow, just their thought of what happened and a direction the deer ran. They may simply be doing a grid search in hopes of finding it. But instead, they felt, well I can go in there, and gum up the whole area, OR, I can preserve the area and give the dog the best fighting chance at recovery, versus tearing the place up, and after a half day search call the dog in anyway. 

1 hour ago, Jcol6268 said:

I've worked with and helped train a couple dogs and I can tell you that walking and tracking a deer before putting a dog on it has had little effect other than taking the dog off trail momentarily.   If the deer is dead the dog will find the couple times I used a dog when I couldn't find a deer was to confirm what I already new the deer wasn't dead.

Think about it like this if it messed with scent that bad how would any dog find a bird in the main fields of colliers mills after 100 guys walked through it.

Edited by vdep217