IGNORED

Back up crossbows

smittty

For the guys that keep backup crossbows. I’m wondering how often you all change the stings and cables on your backup crossbows. I know they recommend every two years but if it’s just sitting with maybe a few shots every few years I’m thinking you can go five years. Whats your thoughts??? 

It depends. High FPS bows under extreme tension should be changed every three years or less depending on visible deterioration. Even if no fraying is seen, the cables and string will stretch leading to poor efficiency. On "older" bows shooting under 400 fps, it would depend upon usage. I have a Bear Torrix bow that has the original string and cables on it and it's about 6 years old. Same goes for my TenPoint Carbon Nitro which is about 5 years old. They are Reverse Draw and moderate ATA. String life is much better on these. My TenPoint Stealth NXT needed a string at two years and cables at three.

But, years is not the complete story. I have 4 crossbows and none of them see a lot of time in the woods even though I hunt a lot. I use all of them throughout the season. 

So, to summarize, the higher the FPS the bow is, the more frequent the string/cables would need to be replaced. The more use, the more often you would need to change. If used heavily, you may have to change every year or two. There is no correct answer for everyone and every bow. 

Edited by archer36

1 hour ago, smittty said:

For the guys that keep backup crossbows. I’m wondering how often you all change the stings and cables on your backup crossbows. I know they recommend every two years but if it’s just sitting with maybe a few shots every few years I’m thinking you can go five years. Whats your thoughts??? 

If your not wearing the strings shooting them , no need to change them out .

Rail lube def increases string life also .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

Sometimes it's not the "string" that is worn, but just the serving. It must be lubed frequently with serving lube, not string wax. If the serving is frayed on a 2 to 3 year old string, you may be able to get it re- served rather than replacing the whole thing. 

Also, as mentioned, rail lube increases the life of the string/serving. It should be applied every 25 shots or so. 

Either way, you are not going to get much more than 2-3 years out of a set of strings/ cables on these newer high FPS bows, even with the best of care. 

Edited by archer36

I would suspect each manufacturer would be different. The "at rest" tension on the string would play a factor in the longevity or amount of stretch. That being said, I've had strings last as long as 4+ years and others changed every year. I am lucky enough to have the exact set-up as a back up to my primary. I shoot both bows before and during the season. 

18 minutes ago, electric10162 said:

I would suspect each manufacturer would be different. The "at rest" tension on the string would play a factor in the longevity or amount of stretch. That being said, I've had strings last as long as 4+ years and others changed every year. I am lucky enough to have the exact set-up as a back up to my primary. I shoot both bows before and during the season. 

Agree. If you can't have the same exact bow as a backup, if compatible, use the same arrows. It saves you the trouble of carrying around an extra set of arrows too. Just keep the B/U in the vehicle and you're safe. 

Edited by archer36