IGNORED

So much for trying to manage WMA acres for woodcock

Bonefreak

19 minutes ago, swamprat142 said:

It is a Wildlife Management area  and is managed as such. What do these idiots have to do with anything F&G does to it?

If you ask them, it’s because the lands are public and the public should decide. And they are the public as you quickly learn when attempting to work with them or educate them. We are not in their eyes because we see the world differently than they do. 

Maybe this error will be beneficial in the long run. Hopefully they will clear/ improve more land for our beloved Timberdooles. I wish they would do some improvements in Winslow WMA for woodcock. There are some spots along the river that hold birds. 

Edited by Batsto

15 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

We have been in this fight for over a decade. Sparta Mountain is ground zero. The preservationists (not conservationists as the article claims and the distinction is important) are fighting good forestry based habitat restoration once again. They have lost nearly all of their battles to date, but it has been an uphill battle. 

I just took a group of 20 local residents for a tour of Sparta Mt.  I showed them a few of the more recent cuts and the new growth that they generate.  They had no idea that it's about habitat improvement.  They just assumed that it was logging to make money at the expense of the environment.  

2 hours ago, Batsto said:

Maybe this error will be beneficial in the long run. Hopefully they will clear/ improve more land for our beloved Timberdooles. I wish they would do some improvements in Winslow WMA for woodcock. There are some spots along the river that hold birds. 

What error? 

1 hour ago, Rusty said:

I just took a group of 20 local residents for a tour of Sparta Mt.  I showed them a few of the more recent cuts and the new growth that they generate.  They had no idea that it's about habitat improvement.  They just assumed that it was logging to make money at the expense of the environment.  

It's probably the same kind of thing happening down here in Glassboro. They probably see the clearing of the area and have no idea it's all part of the plan to support the woodcock. I bet none of them have actually heard a woodcock "peent" or even seen a wild woodcock (short of watching YouTube dancing woodcock videos).

These groups have tried pissing and moaning about other stuff down here that fell on deaf ears. If I had to wager, they probably cried about something with the sprawl and expansion of Rowan and whatnot. Glassboro WMA became the next nothing burger target out of convenience for a little bit of lime light.. 

13 minutes ago, chenrossi said:

These groups have tried pissing and moaning about other stuff down here that fell on deaf ears. If I had to wager, they probably cried about something with the sprawl and expansion of Rowan and whatnot. Glassboro WMA became the next nothing burger target out of convenience for a little bit of lime light.. 

Their stated goal is to end modern forestry practices that involve harvest for any reason, public AND private.  I wasted a lot of years of my life fighting to educate them from within their ranks by serving on the Natural Heritage Committee and the Policy Committee for the NJ Highlands Coalition.  It was once fairly well balanced between conservationists and preservationists, but the preservationists refused to accept modern forestry as a way to create habitat as well as reduce or eliminate invasives.  The conservationists like myself got tired of banging our collective heads against the wall and walked away.  Now the work is moving forward on many public lands (never stopped on private) and all they have are desperate attempts to sway the public into believing the state is allowing the destruction of wetlands.  I have lost all respect for them and they have lost their way.        

5 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

Their stated goal is to end modern forestry practices that involve harvest for any reason, public AND private.  I wasted a lot of years of my life fighting to educate them from within their ranks by serving on the Natural Heritage Committee and the Policy Committee for the NJ Highlands Coalition.  It was once fairly well balanced between conservationists and preservationists, but the preservationists refused to accept modern forestry as a way to create habitat as well as reduce or eliminate invasives.  The conservationists like myself got tired of banging our collective heads against the wall and walked away.  Now the work is moving forward on many public lands (never stopped on private) and all they have are desperate attempts to sway the public into believing the state is allowing the destruction of wetlands.  I have lost all respect for them and they have lost their way.        

That's certainly one way to concuss yourself.....I never understood their mindset. It's almost as though ANYTHING opposite of edenic 'preservation' and leaving an area unmolested is somehow the destruction of it to these people..there can be no in-between. 

3 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

Well said brutha!!  Sorry to hear of all those wasted years of your life!  They collectively waste hundreds of years of peoples lives with their ignorance & frivolous lawsuits. Sounds like a whole other group of people we have been dealing with a lot lately too…..birds of a feather….pun intended. 

3 minutes ago, Bonefreak said:

Well said brutha!!  Sorry to hear of all those wasted years of your life!  They collectively waste hundreds of years of peoples lives with their ignorance & frivolous lawsuits. Sounds like a whole other group of people we have been dealing with a lot lately too…..birds of a feather….pun intended. 

They are one and the same.....

In the end, I guess my time wasn't wasted as we are seeing regular forestry management on some state lands for early successional forest habitat.  I also served on the last NJ Wildlife Action Plan committee, and we decided rather than construct plans for over 400 individual threatened and endangered animal species, we chose to pursue habitat types such as early successional forest habitat, spartina grass habitat, and other types where the large majority of these T&E species call home.  It greatly reduced by well over 75% the need for individual plans for single species.  So I am happy for the most part with our various outcomes, but the fight very much continues.  

Another dumbass fake news reporter can’t get it right!!

they write “preserve” and conservationists in the first paragraph. 

it’s a WMA and not a preserve…& the nimnoys complaining are preservationists and not conservationists. Kind of like he/she/them/they/I/We/My way or highway differences that are being shoved down our throat!!!  SMH 

https://www.njspotlightnews.org/2023/03/nj-conservation-groups-irate-over-state-agencys-forest-clearance-work/amp/

7DC953A3-F8B5-4286-B2C9-CC388F592007.png

12 minutes ago, Bonefreak said:

Another dumbass fake news reporter can’t get it right!!

they write “preserve” and conservationists in the first paragraph. 

it’s a WMA and not a preserve…& the nimnoys complaining are preservationists and not conservationists. Kind of like he/she/them/they/I/We/My way or highway differences that are being shoved down our throat!!!  SMH 

https://www.njspotlightnews.org/2023/03/nj-conservation-groups-irate-over-state-agencys-forest-clearance-work/amp/

7DC953A3-F8B5-4286-B2C9-CC388F592007.png

Yeah, they should learn the meaning of words before they use them, especially when using them in the media!  :shakehead: