IGNORED

So much for trying to manage WMA acres for woodcock

Bonefreak

On 3/14/2023 at 9:18 AM, Batsto said:

Maybe this error will be beneficial in the long run. Hopefully they will clear/ improve more land for our beloved Timberdooles. I wish they would do some improvements in Winslow WMA for woodcock. There are some spots along the river that hold birds. 

I’ve killed my fair share of woodcock in Winslow wildlife management area. There is a wet spot on the left side of the road near the back fields. So if u come in and the ranger station is on the left. Drive to the back stocked field s. Park at the little parking spot at the back fields . Walk back down the main road towards the way u came.  About 300 yards on your right there is a wet piece. Killed plenty of wood cock in there with and with out dog. Having the pointer was a game changer though. 

If you want to help wood cock in NJ the Jersey shore chapter has an excellent group.

If someone wants to volunteer pm me

Hope the issue with above works out.

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

5 minutes ago, thefirstndsecond said:

If you want to help wood cock in NJ the Jersey shore chapter has an excellent group.

If someone wants to volunteer pm me

Hope the issue with above works out.

Can you post a link sir

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

https://ruffedgrousesociety.org/jerseyshore/

Edited by thefirstndsecond

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

3 hours ago, Rusty said:

The RGS has done some work on Sparta Mt WMA as part of the Forest Stewardship Plan.  

I’ve been a member most years since I was a teenager. I have been fairly disappointed in their staff over the years and attempted to work with them at Sparta mountain. One of their former biologists did consult on the phone with me when I was formulating our forestry plan to include grouse and woodcock, but shortly after his funding ran out. His replacement wasn’t funded to work in NJ. To me, that’s giving up. You want to make an impression as a conservation organization, you focus projects in the hardest areas for success, not just the easiest. Giving up on NJ always left a bad taste in my mouth. Yet I still support them as a national organization. Hijack over. 

I’m a big fan of forestry for wild life that being said I’m no biologist but work with them on a regular basis and learn a lot but I also teach the a little. Let me just get at what I’m trying to say I would put woodcock at the bottom of the list of species that forestry would help but there’s many more species that a good forestry plan will help like grouse and quail and much more besides birds. Remember woodcock are migratory but good forestry should make them sick around a while longer but I believe it’s more of a weather thing with the woodcock. Just my opinion 

3 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

I’ve been a member most years since I was a teenager. I have been fairly disappointed in their staff over the years and attempted to work with them at Sparta mountain. One of their former biologists did consult on the phone with me when I was formulating our forestry plan to include grouse and woodcock, but shortly after his funding ran out. His replacement wasn’t funded to work in NJ. To me, that’s giving up. You want to make an impression as a conservation organization, you focus projects in the hardest areas for success, not just the easiest. Giving up on NJ always left a bad taste in my mouth. Yet I still support them as a national organization. Hijack over. 

It looks like the north Jersey chapter is no more.    I assume that that was who did the work on Sparta Mt.    

4 hours ago, smittty said:

I’m a big fan of forestry for wild life that being said I’m no biologist but work with them on a regular basis and learn a lot but I also teach the a little. Let me just get at what I’m trying to say I would put woodcock at the bottom of the list of species that forestry would help but there’s many more species that a good forestry plan will help like grouse and quail and much more besides birds. Remember woodcock are migratory but good forestry should make them sick around a while longer but I believe it’s more of a weather thing with the woodcock. Just my opinion 

I sat on the state's ten year Wildlife Action Plan steering committee for the Division last round.  By creating early successional forest habitat through logging, we could impact dozens of threatened and endangered bird species alone.  Woodcock are neither, of course, but they get a free ride.  But don't lost sight that this project is woodcock focused because it is done on a WMA property specifically for the benefit of increased game birds.  The T&E species that will also benefit are the lucky recipients of this work.  On Sparta Mountain, the work is more focused on golden wing warblers, and woodcock, grouse and others get the free ride.