IGNORED

Anyone shooting TOTA broadheads ??

hammer4reel

3 minutes ago, archer36 said:

Agree. We are basically talking about "string jumping" (really isn't jumping but ducking). Deer's reaction to the noise of shot or arrow. I hunted Compound Bow for 30 years and Crossbow about 10. The only time I can say a deer "jumped the string" is with my crossbow. The deer was wired. About 30 yds away. Looking at me in near dark. When I pulled the trigger, I could see the deer whirl away and the lighted nock sail past it. Could it have been a coincidence? Maybe the deer was going to move at that moment no matter what. Only the deer knows. :up:

Lots of variable. 
deer with head down can move way quicker than deer with their heads up . 
while many argue there is enough video to show movement even with a crossbow . 
besides how much effect all sounds can make pushing the deer further into escape mode . 

Many deer are shot that hardly push off at all .

others make it 200 yards in a few seconds . 

in all cases . The less flight in the deer the better .

stand along your garage and have someone shoot past it into a target .

even us slow humans can hear the difference significantly.

vanes and broad heads make a lot of noise .

I want the quietest set up possible 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

We obsess over broadheads. We want to use ones that will do the job best. Lots do that. 

I recently saw a thread on a crossbow forum where a guy accidentally used a practice head to shoot a deer. It was a heart shot and the deer expired in about 30 yds.

So, maybe we get a little carried away when it comes to broadheads. :rofl:

Edited by archer36

56 minutes ago, archer36 said:

We obsess over broadheads. We want to use ones that will do the job best. Lots do that. 

I recently saw a thread on a crossbow forum where a guy accidentally used a practice head to shoot a deer. It was a heart shot and the deer expired in about 30 yds.

So, maybe we get a little carried away when it comes to broadheads. :rofl:

Shoot a deer with a BB gun into the heart and he’s not going far. Anything piercing the heart and vessels in it is dead. What you want from a broad head is the biggest wound possible for the biggest blood trail and most hemorrhaging. Complete pass through makes the hemorrhage that much more external for your trail. Any broadhead is going to kill a deer on the perfect shot placement it’s which ones kill it when your placement is less than perfect. 

Edited by Rjtfd

3 hours ago, JHbowhunter said:

I am thinking about trying VPA 125gr 3 blade in the 1 1/4” cut. 

VPA makes a great head . Just don’t understand why they can’t make the adapter to industry standards .

no reason to shorten the thread length on them .

how much actual steel are they saving ?

looking to set something up for elk hunting . So want a super strong head .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

1 minute ago, hammer4reel said:

VPA makes a great head . Just don’t understand why they can’t make the adapter to industry standards .

no reason to shorten the thread length on them .

how much actual steel are they saving ?

looking to set something up for elk hunting . So want a super strong head .

I would absolutely go with VPA non-vented 125 gr on elk.  Very easy to sharpen and very accurate and silent in flight. I doubt there is a better penetrating 3 blade out there. I never found a few less threads to be an issue and have put them through a lot of bone and once even buried so deep into a white oak after a shot after full pass through - could not get the BH back. But - never an issue with ferrule 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

32 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

I would absolutely go with VPA non-vented 125 gr on elk.  Very easy to sharpen and very accurate and silent in flight. I doubt there is a better penetrating 3 blade out there. I never found a few less threads to be an issue and have put them through a lot of bone and once even buried so deep into a white oak after a shot after full pass through - could not get the BH back. But - never an issue with ferrule 

They don’t work in brass inserts at all 

there is a reason for the AMO standard 

you never shorten bolt thread length . That’s where real strength comes from 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

If it's an Outfitted hunt, ask him his opinion. Hopefully he has seen enough animals killed to form an opinion.  When I booked a Moose Hunt in Newfoundland, I was sure I needed a bigger gun. I met my Outfitter in Harrisburg and asked if a . 270 was enough gun. He said, "of course", if you use the right bullet. 

He will most likely give you a few that he likes and a few he dislikes. :up:

My PH in South Africa said a lot of bow hunters use Muzzy Trocars on small to medium sized game like Elk. That was a surprise. But for the toughest critters (like Cape Buffalo), the two blade, single bevel head made from a piece of steel is the rule. 

Edited by archer36