IGNORED

Anyone shooting TOTA broadheads ??

hammer4reel

Been messing around with them a little .

didn’t like how sharp I could get them with their sharpening system .

‘so purchased the  F4 by Stay Sharp . Def a better system , but still not hair popping sharp ..

They fly great , just wish I could get them a touch sharper .

07B2BF4D-6278-42A5-90C9-FACD60CC7847.jpeg

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

Interesting.   I take my Jap knives to 6k, then strop them on horsehide and they are shaving sharp. I know at 1k or 2k, the edge us still pretty "toothy" and although it will slice paper easily, it still snags a little.  I think for "hair popping" sharpness, you need to go finer than 2k or at least try a strop/hone after the 2k

I bought a pack of the 175 gr for my South Africa trip but never fully tested them. I see a lot of posts on Crossbow related forums on TOTA heads and the reviews are mixed. Most complaints are bent blades and field point accuracy. Some say it's great, others say no. Lusk Archery did some reviews and they fared OK. 

There is no doubt that they will be more than adequate for animals the size of Deer and beyond. I'm sure you can get them to fly right too. 

People are always looking to new heads when some old heads are still great. Those being Slick Tricks. Lusk Archery said it was among the best fixed blade heads ever tested. I agree. This one was put through a near 2,000 lb Eland. Complete pass thru and came out unscathed. 

I'm going back to using them again this season. 

IMG_20220101_080215_Bokeh.jpg

Edited by archer36

22 minutes ago, archer36 said:

I bought a pack of the 175 gr for my South Africa trip but never fully tested them. I see a lot of posts on Crossbow related forums on TOTA heads and the reviews are mixed. Most complaints are bent blades and field point accuracy. Some say it's great, others say no. Lusk Archery did some reviews and they fared OK. 

There is no doubt that they will be more than adequate for animals the size of Deer and beyond. I'm sure you can get them to fly right too. 

People are always looking to new heads when some old heads are still great. Those being Slick Tricks. Lusk Archery said it was among the best fixed blade heads ever tested. I agree. This one was put through a near 2,000 lb Eland. Complete pass thru and came out unscathed. 

I'm going back to using them again this season. 

IMG_20220101_080215_Bokeh.jpg

Lusk actually gave TOA great reviews and he has hunted a lot with them .

slick tricks are a good head . Super sharp , make nice holes 

But they scream going through the air . 
one of the loudest heads on the market 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Lusk actually gave TOA great reviews and he has hunted a lot with them .

slick tricks are a good head . Super sharp , make nice holes 

But they scream going through the air . 
one of the loudest heads on the market 

Didn't notice it. The sound that crossbows make when pulling the trigger makes any sound a Slick Trick makes irrelevant. :up:

Depending on what TOTA you choose, the vented blade version will give you the same noise as the ST's. 

Edited by archer36

20 minutes ago, archer36 said:

Didn't notice it. The sound that crossbows make when pulling the trigger makes any sound a Slick Trick makes irrelevant. :up:

Depending on what TOTA you choose, the vented blade version will give you the same noise as the ST's. 

Not correct 

many vented heads make way less noise 

abd the arrow screaming through the air def out weighs the thump of the crossbow 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

3 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Not correct 

many vented heads make way less noise 

abd the arrow screaming through the air def out weighs the thump of the crossbow 

A crossbow shooting 350 to 400 fps will travel 30 yds in about 1/3 of a second (I'm not a math whiz so I can be a little off). Again, if the loud noise a crossbow makes doesn't affect a deer, a whizzing noise in 1/3 of a second won't either. :rofl:

Edited by archer36

1 minute ago, archer36 said:

Speed of sound is much faster than the arrow. The deer will hear the crossbow noise way before the arrow impacts it even though time of flight is so short.  How deer react to things isn't always predictable in any case. :up:

Reaction both during and after the shot are well documented. 

the less reaction you get the better for recovery 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

Agree. We are basically talking about "string jumping" (really isn't jumping but ducking). Deer's reaction to the noise of shot or arrow. I hunted Compound Bow for 30 years and Crossbow about 10. The only time I can say a deer "jumped the string" is with my crossbow. The deer was wired. About 30 yds away. Looking at me in near dark. When I pulled the trigger, I could see the deer whirl away and the lighted nock sail past it. Could it have been a coincidence? Maybe the deer was going to move at that moment no matter what. Only the deer knows. :up:

That would be an interesting thread to start. 

Edited by archer36