IGNORED

Anyone actually get their oil furnace chimney swept?

mike033089

37 minutes ago, buckhound said:

Make sure its clear of build up at the base a good service guy will check that when he  cleans the furnace and change's filters and nozzle. As long as it is clear and good draft you will be good.

I have my furnace serviced every other year as the tech recommended due to I burn mostly wood. They clean the flue which leads to my chimney. I’ve just never had the actual whole chimney for the furnace cleaned.  Should be clear of build up as the flue ties into the chimney about 5’ above the ground. 

Edited by mike033089

12 minutes ago, mike033089 said:

I have my furnace serviced every other year as the tech recommended due to I burn mostly wood. They clean the flu which leads to my chimney. I’ve just never had the actual whole chimney for the furnace cleaned.  Should be clear of build up as the flu ties into the chimney about 5’ above the ground. 

i usually use a mirror to check for build up possible cracks or blockages if i see something i advise accordingly. But if you are not sure have some come and clean and inspect the guy i know uses a camera and will usually show the customer what they see that would be a good indicator of how often you need it cleaned.

4 hours ago, mike033089 said:

Just curious if anyone actually ever gets their oil furnace chimney cleaned?  Never heard of anyone doing it but online says it’s should be done yearly.  I’ve looked down mine when cleaning my wood stove chimney and the oil flu never seems to look dirty. 

Granted it was a case of extreme neglect but I've seen a house almost burn down from it. I pulled up and flames were shooting out of the chimney 15 ft high probably. U can do it yourself with a couple long poles and a brush. But honestly a visual inspection would suffice. Most times it isn't lined that thigk to warrant a sweeping.